Meaningless picture scores

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Charles

Meaningless picture scores

by Charles » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:47 am

What´s the point having a score for pictures when no-one, it seems to me, follows it? Everybody gets a 10 score. Maybe it´s just me but if I want to give someone even "just" an 8, I feel it might be taken as a sort of insult! This is like the practice of giving bravery badges to kids after a visit to the dentist - even the ones that have to be forcefully held down or shot with a tranquilliser dart from a crossbow.
Why not simply have a facebook-like "like"?
The current picture of the week could be taken as an example - fine shot, no doubt about that - but to get the best of all possible scores - by everyone that voted, including me?

lcarreau

Re: Meaningless picture scores

by lcarreau » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:07 pm

This topic has been "batted around" on the forum pages more times than I can count.

Far as POTD and POTW, it's all based on popularity. There can be two "perfect" mountain images posted at the
SAME time, but the 'poster' who's the most "popular" will always receive the most votes.

Nobody can stop it. It's the Nature of the human beast. Down-voting won't work, either.

If you don't like an image or page, then simply don't vote. If you LOVE an image or page, always vote 10/10.

:wink:
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Charles

by Charles » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:37 pm

Yes I realise it´s no new topic. My point though everyone who votes for an image seems to love it which makes th whole idea of a score meaningless. A "Like" would suffice.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Monopoly money.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Josh Lewis

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:29 pm

charles wrote:Maybe it´s just me but if I want to give someone even "just" an 8, I feel it might be taken as a sort of insult!

I have to agree with this. Everyone's idea of a "10" must differ to some extent and if a photo wasn't a 10 to me I just didn't vote. Perhaps a different system would be more suitable as feedback to the OPs?

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:33 am

Reserve downvoting as an expression of 'pissed-offedness', if you dont seem to care for the picture or it isnt well taken or whatever reason, the new trend seems to be not voting at all.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

atavist

by atavist » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:00 am

Another fix would be to hide the owners. At least for the first week and it is no longer eligible for POTW consideration. Having said that, some problems aren't worth fixing. And if I was the guy doing the coding it wouldn't be at the top of my list of things to do, especially if I lived somewhere with mountains. Some things just easier to ignore.

Charles

by Charles » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:47 pm

baumann_pat wrote:Another fix would be to hide the owners. At least for the first week and it is no longer eligible for POTW consideration. Having said that, some problems aren't worth fixing. And if I was the guy doing the coding it wouldn't be at the top of my list of things to do, especially if I lived somewhere with mountains. Some things just easier to ignore.

That´s true - it´s not going to break the world.

JasonH

by JasonH » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:56 pm

People give 10's because any other vote lowers the score. So even an 9 or 8, which should be good votes seem like a bad vote.
I have a demon in me - Stu

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:00 pm

Like JasonH said...

Effectively voting a 9 is effectly the same as a 1. If you are going to downvote- commit to it and not play games with 9s, 5s, or anything else.

Anonymous is a bad idea. If you are ashamed of your vote, don't do it.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:36 pm

Many people who start at SP think the voting system is actually supposed to have some rational tie to the normal view of 8 being "better than average." What they 1st thought was a good score (as indicated by comments like, "that's great!") ends up being a "bad" vote. I can't be very upset; my scores on SP objects don't perceptibly affect my real life.

Some low votes are just puzzling. I once had an innocuous profile picture voted "3;" I just deleted the image and put up a new one, on which he voted "3," so I repeated. After a while the fellow got tired and stopped voting. I never had any interaction with him, and he since left SP.

Mark Doiron

by Mark Doiron » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:40 pm

If you find a picture that you really like, leave a comment. Because, as you point out, even a 10 vote is virtually meaningless. A comment, though, says that you shook me out of my Internet rapture at least long enough to tell you I like your picture.

--mark d.

The following user would like to thank Mark Doiron for this post
MarkDidier

Boydie

by Boydie » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:15 pm

Fletch wrote:I once gave a guy a 4 cause he gave me a 4. I'm a bad person. I know.

I've regularly recieved a 6 and gave back a 9, but never on summitpost. :wink:

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:53 pm

Boydie wrote:
Fletch wrote:I once gave a guy a 4 cause he gave me a 4. I'm a bad person. I know.

I've regularly recieved a 6 and gave back a 9, but never on summitpost. :wink:

Dear God! Your smut has no place on the Virgin Summitpost!!!
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:56 pm

MoapaPk wrote:Some low votes are just puzzling. I once had an innocuous profile picture voted "3;" I just deleted the image and put up a new one, on which he voted "3," so I repeated. After a while the fellow got tired and stopped voting. I never had any interaction with him, and he since left SP.

He thought the REI discount was a zero-sum game.
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

The following user would like to thank Arthur Digbee for this post
MoapaPk

Next

Return to Site Feedback