Five Reasons to Climb Mount Everest

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
jedicolin

by jedicolin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:20 pm

I have just written a new article and wondered what you all thought of it.

no avatar
dsunwall

Re: Five Reasons to Climb Mount Everest

by dsunwall » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:15 pm

I think you could apply all 5 of those reasons to other peaks that are as or more challenging from a mountaineers standpoint.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:18 pm

tallest is not equal to hardest
K2 is the one that should be getting the attention
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:29 am

Hkakabo Razi says otherwise.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:33 am

CSUMarmot wrote:tallest is not equal to hardest

It will.

K2 will be the next Everest in terms of commercial guiding IMO.

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:54 pm

Best part of that "article" is the photoshopped portrait in front of E.

radson

by radson » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:01 pm

Yikes. I would have to disagree with most of the article. Just riddled with cliches.

1. Really hard to get people excited about climbing Everest now with regards to charities.
2. Often the opposite happens, some people climb Everest and then a bit of a loss as what to do next.
3. Some surprisingly unfit people have summited. Very different oxygen levels than that on land? perhaps you mean sea-level.
4. Um yeah there is a lot that possibly cant be done. A recent seven summiter was unable to climb NZ's highest mountain due to poor cramponing skills.
5. Bleah, depends on the persons climbing background.

The following user would like to thank radson for this post
Damien Gildea, Marcsoltan

no avatar
mhedleyguy

by mhedleyguy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:27 am

Both of your articles are poorly written. They are completely devoid of any insight whatsoever. They are exactly the kind of trash that clutters up the internet and wastes time for everyone trying to preform an internet search about genuine queries.

Why would you even repost this trash here? What criticism could we give? Why are you wasting your own time writing about subjects which you do not have the slightest knowledge of?

The following user would like to thank mhedleyguy for this post
chugach mtn boy

NW

by NW » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:34 pm

I think I would feel rather depressed after climbing Everest. I would be more interested in it if I got to spend weeks trekking up through the land, get to know the people and their culture, make new friends, really have an experience. As opposed to trucking or flying in (in some circumstances), expecting money to make everyone do anything I didn't feel like doing, leaving my garbage all over the land, climbing fixed ropes that I had no hand in putting up and stepping over the bodies of other people that have been abandoned to the elements. But I don't have to worry, I don't see an Everest trip in my budget that's for sure!

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:02 pm

Brad Marshall wrote:
CSUMarmot wrote:tallest is not equal to hardest

It will.

K2 will be the next Everest in terms of commercial guiding IMO.

I agree, and sadly it might become another trash dump just like the E.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

Wandering Sole Images

by Wandering Sole Images » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:06 pm

"You will never find another thrill like it, or another adventure that even compares to it." --> Is this meant as a serious comment?

I have a feeling Mel Torino would love this list.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:47 pm

Yeah,

for only about 30 grand, you can get on a Russian Icebreaker that smashes it's way to the North Pole. Stand where only "a few" have.

maxomeara

by maxomeara » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:50 pm

NW wrote:I think I would feel rather depressed after climbing Everest. I would be more interested in it if I got to spend weeks trekking up through the land, get to know the people and their culture, make new friends, really have an experience. As opposed to trucking or flying in (in some circumstances), expecting money to make everyone do anything I didn't feel like doing, leaving my garbage all over the land, climbing fixed ropes that I had no hand in putting up and stepping over the bodies of other people that have been abandoned to the elements. But I don't have to worry, I don't see an Everest trip in my budget that's for sure!

You do get to spend weeks trekking up through the land, you do get to know the people and experience their culture, you make lifelong friends and I would say it's a pretty awesome experience. You don't have to pay for Sherpas to do things you don't want to do and you certainly don't have to leave your garbage all over the land. There seems to be this notion that every Everest expedition costs $80,000 and you get dragged up the mountain by Sherpas who do everything short of wipe your ass and you never carry any of your own gear but thats really not the case. Yeah you can certainly pay for that if that's the experience you're looking for, but it is what you make it.

radson

by radson » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:18 am

I think the bashing Vitaliy is more due to the poor quality of the article.

NW

by NW » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:21 pm

[/quote]You do get to spend weeks trekking up through the land, you do get to know the people and experience their culture, you make lifelong friends and I would say it's a pretty awesome experience. You don't have to pay for Sherpas to do things you don't want to do and you certainly don't have to leave your garbage all over the land. There seems to be this notion that every Everest expedition costs $80,000 and you get dragged up the mountain by Sherpas who do everything short of wipe your ass and you never carry any of your own gear but thats really not the case. Yeah you can certainly pay for that if that's the experience you're looking for, but it is what you make it.[/quote]

Yea I know, I simply was referring to the way that has become popular. Kind of a grab it and go sort of trip, which is sad. Unfortunately I guess most people can't spare lots of time and try to do it quickly (so to speak). Obviously it's good for people to have a dream and accomplish it I just think it's to bad that some do it without much thought of those around them or their effect on the area, but that happens all over, not just Everest. I mean I was on a tiny mountain this summer and it was covered in trash and I felt disgusted and couldn't understand why people would do that. Same thing there, just more people and a much bigger area and some people willing to do anything to get to the top.

Next

Return to General