Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Denver Drivers

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.

Re: Denver Drivers

Postby lcarreau » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:18 pm

Yes, it's all rather funny and laughable, but the "serious side" is that there's people out there who actually DO own the road! At least, they own the roads inside their minds..

I've been "cut off" everywhere I've driven, EVEN in SE Asia. Actually, it does NO GOOD to get angry about it.

But, there's nothing wrong with venting.

:wink:
lcarreau

Postby mconnell » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:38 pm

lcarreau wrote:Image

Texting while driving is illegal in EVERY state and has been enacted since before cell phones were invented. Passing a new law that changes nothing from the previous law was a bogus political move that just wasted more tax dollars while not making roads any safer.

As for Denver drivers, everywhere in the world has the "Worst Drivers I've Ever Seen." People just love to bitch about how bad things are where they live. Truth is, there are shitty drivers everywhere.
mconnell

Postby mtnview » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:46 pm

Well, yes, being tailgated at 80mph on I25 coming into Denver is a bit disconcerting.

But if you really want some fun try heading west on I70 on a Friday night with an under powered vehicle for the long steep hills. All the 4x4's pulling their toys on trailers will blast by and you better hit the slow lane with the semi's or the wrath of Denver will be upon you. :)
mtnview

Postby Bob Sihler » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:18 pm

I haven't been in any major U.S. city, East, West, or in between, where the roads aren't just as the OP describes. It's the result of too many people, too many cars, and everyone getting frustrated and being in a damn hurry, plus the typical self-centered behavior too many people exhibit (yapping and texting, for instance). Just too many people.

Seattle, the SF area, Vegas, Denver, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Indy, New York, all of eastern Jersey, D.C., Atlanta, Minneapolis, Miami...those are the big cities I've done much driving in or through.

Personally, I find Las Vegas to be the worst by far, and driving on I-15 there actually scares me. You've got tourists, retirees, foreigners who haven't been here long, and then the typical assortment of locals all mixed together.

The fewer the people, the less congested the roads and the more courteous the drivers. Same story all over.

Edit: Salt Lake has never seemed that bad to me.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby Sarah Simon » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:30 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:Edit: Salt Lake has never seemed that bad to me.
:) I visit SLC at least once (often twice) per month for business. I call the driving there "Every Saint for Himself," :geek: yet the truth is, as indicated by many in the thread, there are good drivers and bad drivers all over the place. I often travel domestically every week for business, sometimes to multiple cities in one week. Every city has their fair mix of tailgaters, left-lane hogs, folks that pass on the right, people who don't know how to merge in - or let others merge, folks who run red lights, folks who slam their brakes on at yellow lights, road ragers, jerks, wildlife gawkers, smart phone texters, etc.

Anecdotal example: Last week I was in Boston, which is supposed to be home to efficiently aggressive drivers. Twice in just three days I had drivers STOP when merging into traffic on the freeway...even though they could fit a freight train into the window in the right-most lane they were trying to enter. Welcome to Boston, welcome to...any other major US city. Same thing, different city. :)
Go climb a mountain
Sarah Simon

Postby Bob Sihler » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:50 pm

sarah.simon wrote:Anecdotal example: Last week I was in Boston, which is supposed to be home to efficiently aggressive drivers. Twice in just three days I had drivers STOP when merging into traffic on the freeway...

They must have been tourists from Denver. :wink:
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby lcarreau » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:25 am

My own experience (and statistics) SUGGEST that driving in traffic can be a.. REAL BEAR:

lcarreau

Postby lcarreau » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:16 am

lcarreau

Postby John Duffield » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:59 am

John Duffield

Postby MattK » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:13 pm

Fletch wrote:crashed a scooter into a restaurant in Belgium.

:shock: Now that sounds like a good story!!
MattK

Postby mconnell » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:52 pm

Fletch wrote:crashed a scooter into a restaurant in Belgium.

Sounds like since you moved there, the quality of the drivers in Denver has certainly dropped. :wink:

I personally hate driving in Denver, I just don't see it being any worse than any of the other big cities I've driven through in the US.
mconnell

PreviousNext

Return to Colorado