Award Winning Photos

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Marmaduke

Award Winning Photos

by Marmaduke » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:10 am

Some here might not be inclined to "toot their own horn" but with many magazines that have photo contests. There are so many excellent photos by SPers, are there any of you who have won any photo contests?

Apex

Re: Award Winning Photos

by Apex » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:40 am

I haven't entered any photo contests yet, but would love to find some. I agree with the above poster that judging is quite biased, but there's really no way around this. I'm talking about how certain judges will prefer a different style of photography to another, different techniques, areas, etc... Not so much the personal info, though I don't have any experience with that yet.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:13 am

Hey Pete...

Looks like I am number 4 on your people you need to climb with list. So what peak is it going to be?

http://www.summitpost.org/suggested-par ... 0pks/18870

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:01 pm

There's also a thread for complaining, its called the whole off route section. Feel free to share your feelings and assumptions there.

I have entered a few photo contest but have never won. I guess because I don't take great photos.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:54 pm

Hotoven wrote:There's also a thread for complaining, its called the whole off route section. Feel free to share your feelings and assumptions there.

I have entered a few photo contest but have never won. I guess because I don't take great photos.

Did you see the photos that won and were they pretty good or.....?

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:18 pm

Marmaduke wrote:
Hotoven wrote:There's also a thread for complaining, its called the whole off route section. Feel free to share your feelings and assumptions there.

Did you see the photos that won and were they pretty good or.....?

I did see the photos that won and they were noting special. It was a local competition so of course the person who had the photo of the Matterhorn during a sunset won. I have seen way better here on SP.
- The Dude, Lebowski

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:22 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:Yea 1000excuses, I lost a contest once...I think it was because I am black

Vodka and Kahlúa?

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
JasonH, robot one

Smoove910

by Smoove910 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:04 pm

A lot of photo contests require the submitter to relinquish all rights associated with the image.

Example: Backpacker magazine has a photo contest, but the submitter is required to allow the use of the image at Backpacker's discretion with no monetary gain. Your name will be mentioned, but the image may be sold to other 'vendors' without the say of the one who took it.

This is a huge reason why I don't ever submit.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:11 pm

Not a national contest by any strectch but I won the first annual photo contest held by the Chicago Mountaineering Club this year with this photo. Entries were anonymous and voted by the 100+ people that attended the annual dinner in March...

The following user would like to thank Alpinist for this post
Marmaduke

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:22 pm

Alpinist wrote:Not a national contest by any strectch but I won the first annual photo contest held by the Chicago Mountaineering Club this year with this photo. Entries were anonymous and voted by the 100+ people that attended the annual dinner in March...

Congrats...it is definitely a sweet pic, and not surprisinly your # 1 SP photo. I made the 204th vote here on SP...I don't think I have ever seen a pic with that many votes! Nice job.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:53 pm

MarkDidier wrote:
Alpinist wrote:Not a national contest by any strectch but I won the first annual photo contest held by the Chicago Mountaineering Club this year with this photo. Entries were anonymous and voted by the 100+ people that attended the annual dinner in March...

Congrats...it is definitely a sweet pic, and not surprisinly your # 1 SP photo. I made the 204th vote here on SP...I don't think I have ever seen a pic with that many votes! Nice job.

Ditto that!!! Beautiful!

rasgoat

by rasgoat » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:28 pm

Smoove910 wrote:A lot of photo contests require the submitter to relinquish all rights associated with the image.

Example: Backpacker magazine has a photo contest, but the submitter is required to allow the use of the image at Backpacker's discretion with no monetary gain. Your name will be mentioned, but the image may be sold to other 'vendors' without the say of the one who took it.

This is a huge reason why I don't ever submit.

Thats bull! I'm glad I didn't re-subscribe.

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:11 am

Congratulation, that is a gorgeous photo indeed

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:55 am

Thanks all!

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:33 pm

Great photo and congratulations!

This is a great thread because I'm sure Alpinist would not have bragged all over the web if this topic was not brought up. bring on more winning photos people!
- The Dude, Lebowski

Next

Return to General