Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

mountaineering dangerous?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Re: mountaineering dangerous?

Postby JJBrunner » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:43 am

You drive vehicles in New Zealand?
JJBrunner

Postby MoapaPk » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:46 am

JJBrunner wrote:You drive vehicles in New Zealand?

Yes, but the Kiwis drive on the left side of the road, so are always smashing into the tourists who fuel the economy.
MoapaPk

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
JasonH

Postby Palisades79 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:41 pm

Five people I've climbed with have died in mountaineering accidents. One on K2,one on Raineer,one in the Tetons,one on the Matterhorn in Switzerland,and one on Surgar Loaf in the Sierra. They were all experienced .
Palisades79

Postby Sierra Ledge Rat » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:39 am

If I was a cat, with 13 lives, I'd be a dead cat because of climbing.

I think I'm a elephant dung beetle, aren't dung beetles supposed to have 15 lives?

Is climbing that dangerous, or have I just been foolish?

Where is the line between bravery and foolishness? Is it bravery (succeeded) and foolishness (failed)? Or what?
Sierra Ledge Rat

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:52 pm

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:If I was a cat, with 13 lives, I'd be a dead cat because of climbing.

I think I'm a elephant dung beetle, aren't dung beetles supposed to have 15 lives?

Is climbing that dangerous, or have I just been foolish?

Where is the line between bravery and foolishness? Is it bravery (succeeded) and foolishness (failed)? Or what?

I don´t know how many lives they have but they lay about 1000 eggs.
Charles

Postby Hotoven » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Looks like Jr. is getting confused again, there is a difference between mountaineering and alpine climbing.

Mountaineering is generally the easiest and safest route up an objective. (Example: the DC route up Mt. Rainier. Generally long snow slogs, crevasse travel and easy angled snow/Ice) It is uncommon to have lots of Ice and belay stations involved.

Alpine climbing is much different. That would include the shortest and or most difficult route to your objective done in a fast amount of time. (Example would be a route with multiple pitches including rock/ice/ and or mixed climbing and maybe even aid, maybe a night or two, lots of exposure and use of a lot of technical gear.)

The brevity of my definition limits me to more detail, but if you want more read Freedom of the Hills. I think you would learn a lot.

And to answer your question, yes they are both dangerous in their own ways.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski
Hotoven

Postby dan2see » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:59 am

In Mattski's original post, he uses the words: belayer, snow, ice, and he refers to rock-fall and avalanche.

On his profile page, he's posted a couple of snapshots of himself on a summit, wearing crampons and ice-tools. Also a picture of him backpacking, with a piton hammer tied to his pack.

So you gotta guess that he's talking alpine-style mountaineering. That is, high-level rock climbing and ice climbing. Not hiking. He knows about the dangers, and has some experience with them.

And you gotta guess that he's active in the sport, not simply reading books.

So it's hard to understand where his questions came from. He's just too naive! Therefore, I guess either he's trolling us (which doesn't make sense) or else he was stoned when he posted that crap.

Maybe Matt can clear this up. OK Matt? What do you say?
dan2see

Postby brokesomeribs » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:17 am

He's a troll, and a spectacular troll at that. It's really impressive to watch thread after thread of people take his carefully crafted bait. And it's usually the same people who get snagged on his juicy worms.

"Is mountaineering dangerous?"

FWIW, I predicate my troll assumption on the fact that he can't be THAT stupid. I think. Right? Cause he's a fucking moron otherwise. He'll be dead soon, don't worry. The mountains tend to accelerate natural selection. Call it passive eugenics.
brokesomeribs

Postby Grampahawk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:21 pm

Pick up a copy of "Accidents in North American Mountaineering 2010", published by the The American Alpine Club. (www.americanalpineclub.org). It contains a description of every event (hundreds) in the US and Canada. A lot of people were foolish, unprepared, etc. But many just had a bad combination of events.
Grampahawk

Previous

Return to General