Does Smartwool Have Any Competition?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
jdzaharia

Does Smartwool Have Any Competition?

by jdzaharia » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:55 pm

I have several pairs of Smartwool socks in varying degrees of wore-out-ness. I've got other brands of merino wool, poly, blend, etc, socks that just aren't as good. Most, not even close. But, I can't believe a person needs to spend $17 to get a decent pair of socks.

My deal is that my feet sweat a lot, then feel clammy in the summer and cold in the winter. My use for the socks is "everything." With non-waterproof hiking/running shoes, Gore-Tex hiking shoes, Insulated Gore-Tex boots, uninsulated leather steel-toe work boots, western boots, Rubber-soled, felt-lined pac boots, etc.

What other brands/models have you had luck with?

ExcitableBoy

Re: Does Smartwool Have Any Competition?

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:00 pm

I have used Smartwool socks for climbing, skiing and trail running for years. I stopped buying them (except for the thin liner socks) because they all wear out in the heels.

I found inexpensive synthetic socks to be more durable, far cheaper, and dry faster than wool socks. For a premium brand look at Bridgedale, for a bargain look at Fox River. My Fox River synthetic socks ($3.00 on sale) perform as well as Smartwool and the Bridgedale socks out perform them in everyway, however, they are at least as expensive.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
jdzaharia, splattski

MScholes

by MScholes » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:39 pm

Depending on where I am, and if I want thinner socks or not, I switch out my smartwool liners for Wigwam liners. I find them very useful liners, durability isn't great but they're half the price of smartwool liners, thinner and depending on the occasion, that's exactly what I need.

llama97

by llama97 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:40 pm

http://www.point6.com/home

I got some of these at Sierra Trading Post last spring and have had good luck so far (hiking, mountain biking, XC skiing). I've also had decent luck with the REI brand smartwool knock-offs. The Smartwool socks are still the best, IMO, for comfort but they do wear out too fast given the price.

I have not had good luck with synthetic socks. They seem to make my feet sweat too much, but I haven't tried any in quite a few years.

The following user would like to thank llama97 for this post
jdzaharia

no avatar
ianwhite

by ianwhite » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:25 pm

Check out Darn Tough socks. Life time guarantee

The following user would like to thank ianwhite for this post
jdzaharia

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:49 pm

I've liked Smartwool socks and have found the REI brand merino wool socks to be just as good and a bit cheaper.

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
jdzaharia

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:10 pm

Liner socks. I have gotten away from wearing liner socks, such as polypropylene. My feet seem to get sweaty/clammy faster with them as opposed to wool directly on my skin. Anybody else find something similar, or am I wacky?

A couple people mentioned the REI merino wool socks. Maybe I'll have to try them. Problem is, shipping normally offsets the lower cost, compared to buying Smartwool locally.

llama97 wrote:http://www.point6.com/home

I got some of these at Sierra Trading Post last spring and have had good luck so far (hiking, mountain biking, XC skiing).

I have a pair of the light hikers, and I'm not impressed. Maybe I'll try the medium weight ones. I like that they are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of Smartwool, though.

llama97 wrote:I have not had good luck with synthetic socks. They seem to make my feet sweat too much

Same here. Maybe I just haven't tried the right ones.

Kai

by Kai » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:26 pm

Dahlgren socks have pretty much replaced Smartwool for me. They keep my feet more comfortable. Better fit too.

The following user would like to thank Kai for this post
jdzaharia

no avatar
hatidua

by hatidua » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:12 pm

I live in a town that tends to have an annual Smartwool warehouse sale and picked up 25 pair at $5 each several months ago. That said, in my mailbox yesterday were two pair of Dahlgren expedition-weight alpaca socks, I prompty put one pair on and went for a six mile hike - these things are NICE!! With this past Smartwool warehouse sale I'm pretty well stocked but could see a few more pair of the Dahlgren socks in my future.

The following user would like to thank hatidua for this post
jdzaharia

no avatar
bearbreeder

by bearbreeder » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:01 am

whatever is on sale at costco ... or other stores

havent had any issues with wigwams

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:06 am

Wigwam's INgenius line is the best sock made in my opinion hands down. Last forever, dry fast and have kept me virtually blister free for years now and I don't have to wear liners.

I like the wool/poly blend.

The following user would like to thank goldenhopper for this post
jdzaharia

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:25 am

3 pairs of Patagonia Med-Heavy Weight last a min of one good hard season of just about every day use for me.
ImageImage

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
jdzaharia

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:53 am

Remember that when taking advice about attire from The Chief, you want to make sure and ignore any color combination suggestions. :wink:

Case in point:

The following user would like to thank goldenhopper for this post
rhyang

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:02 am

It aint no stinking fashion show.... ooopps! My bad. I may have insulted many here that need to follow the "look" in order to look the part and fit in.

Versatility and quality is all I care about, no matter the color or pattern.

Deltaoperator17

by Deltaoperator17 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:45 pm

goldenhopper wrote:Remember that when taking advice about attire from The Chief, you want to make sure and ignore any color combination suggestions. :wink:

Case in point:

I will have to try them out. My old standby Wigwam doesnt seem to be the same anymore... what happended to them? Oh well, Patagonia always steady.

Next

Return to Gear