Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Trash in the wilderness

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.

Re: Trash in the wilderness

Postby gabr1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:50 pm

i tend to pick up what i can, but i guess there just isn't that much junk where i usually go. I guess i'm lucky.
One thing i don't understad though is, why would orange peels bother anyone? aren't they natural and biodegradable? I understand they might not be fun to sit close to when they are decomposing, but this is a case where a little patience and time will sort everything out, unlike plastic or heavily bleached toilet paper... Or am i missing something?
gabr1

Postby Day Hiker » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:16 pm

gabr1 wrote:One thing i don't understad though is, why would orange peels bother anyone? aren't they natural and biodegradable? I understand they might not be fun to sit close to when they are decomposing, but this is a case where a little patience and time will sort everything out, unlike plastic or heavily bleached toilet paper... Or am i missing something?

Yes, you are. Nobody wants to see trash. Orange peels are trash. Who cares if they take 1 year or 1000 years to decompose. They are still there for quite some time for people to see.

Also, regarding orange peels, introducing foreign food sources into an environment interferes with the natural way of things.

You packed in the orange. Pack out the F-ing peels. Pretty simple, really. Basic backcountry etiquette.
Day Hiker

Postby gabr1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:41 pm

Yes it shouldn't be a problem for people to pack up even the peels, but i still can't help but find a serious difference between organic waste and non organic waste. I see it more as a "social" problem: 1000s of hiker a day throwing orange peels along the trail or the bush will certainly have an impact on the enviroment and on the pleasentness of a hike, but leaving an orange peel in it's self is not , to my mind, a capital sin, as instead is leaving a plastic bottle or something polluting, which is an action that should be avoided in any circumstance.
I'm not polemizing, i understand and like the fact that there is rigor and strong feeling about these issues. This is only a general consideration.
gabr1

Postby MoapaPk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:51 pm

gabr1 wrote:Yes it shouldn't be a problem for people to pack up even the peels, but i still can't help but find a serious difference between organic waste and non organic waste. I see it more as a "social" problem: 1000s of hiker a day throwing orange peels along the trail or the bush will certainly have an impact on the enviroment and on the pleasentness of a hike, but leaving an orange peel in it's self is not , to my mind, a capital sin, as instead is leaving a plastic bottle or something polluting, which is an action that should be avoided in any circumstance.
I'm not polemizing, i understand and like the fact that there is rigor and strong feeling about these issues. This is only a general consideration.

If responsibly buried away from traffic, orange peels degrade quickly. If not, they just set there for a long time, sometimes scattered by rodents, who abandon them after the 1st taste.

There is a trail junction near me, where I nearly always find orange peels. If others like myself didn't carry them back down (a job that I really don't like), the peels would pile up. And trash begets other trash; soon people would feel at ease about leaving apple cores, banana peels and the like.

I once slipped on a banana peel thrown down in a canyon by some climbers above.
MoapaPk

Postby Day Hiker » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:54 pm

gabr1 wrote:Yes it shouldn't be a problem for people to pack up even the peels, but i still can't help but find a serious difference between organic waste and non organic waste. I see it more as a "social" problem: 1000s of hiker a day throwing orange peels along the trail or the bush will certainly have an impact on the enviroment and on the pleasentness of a hike, but leaving an orange peel in it's self is not , to my mind, a capital sin, as instead is leaving a plastic bottle or something polluting, which is an action that should be avoided in any circumstance.

Agreed it's not a capital offense, and agreed it's not as bad as plastic. But it is still bad/improper/wrong, though (for at least the two reasons listed earlier).
Day Hiker

Previous

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander