Split board mountaineering advice?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
mfox79

Re: Split board mountaineering advice?

by mfox79 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:07 pm

Another question for the splitborders on this forum. Has anyone experimented with soft shell mountaineering boots? I was looking at using my soft shell asolos for spring conditions this year. does anyone have a binding recomendation for this set up strap or plate style? Thanks in advance

granjero

by granjero » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:15 pm

You might be best off using a strap binding with a third booster strap (just take an old pair of ski boots and take the power/booster strap off) to enhance the overall rigidity of the upper cuff. Mountain boots tend to be a bit flexible in the upper portions (not a bad thing) and adding this third strap can help the quality of the descent quite a bit.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:41 am

granjero wrote:You might be best off using a strap binding with a third booster strap (just take an old pair of ski boots and take the power/booster strap off) to enhance the overall rigidity of the upper cuff. Mountain boots tend to be a bit flexible in the upper portions (not a bad thing) and adding this third strap can help the quality of the descent quite a bit.

+1, have used a booster strap to ride in both Vasque ICE 9000s and Sportiva Spantiks. As mentioned velcro straps work just fine, I personally use ski straps.

OJ Loenneker

by OJ Loenneker » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:10 am

Vitaliy M wrote:I think I realized that AT setup (ski) is the way to go if I want to do long ski approaches in winter powder. Now the crux is getting it without dropping a load of $ on it, and learning to ski

thanks guys

Keep an eye on craigslist. I picked up a set of Atomic RE:X w/ Naxo binding and skins for under $200 a few years ago. There are some good deals around.

But if you already snowboard, why bother with all the fuss of skiing, and the learning curve around that? just get a split your own kid or a used splitboard and you can tour just fine. Ok well, except for the lower angle slopes, you gotta pole it a bit while your ski buddies can skate... :?

OJ Loenneker

by OJ Loenneker » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:14 am

granjero wrote:You might be best off using a strap binding with a third booster strap (just take an old pair of ski boots and take the power/booster strap off) to enhance the overall rigidity of the upper cuff. Mountain boots tend to be a bit flexible in the upper portions (not a bad thing) and adding this third strap can help the quality of the descent quite a bit.

I did this for quite a few years with a Garmont Tele boot liner that had a power strap built in with some Koflach plastic Mtneering boot shells. Worked pretty good for what it was but was heavy because of the strap bindings. i liked it better than regular snowboard boots because I could use my step in crampons with the Koflach's...

But the AT boots with plate bindings so far has been the best bet for me. Plus it's way lighter. Takes a step in crampon great, with a walk mech, also hike well.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:53 pm

Snowboarder drinking fountain

Luc

by Luc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:10 pm

I tried my PJ once with some Koflak doubles, BAD IDEA! you need a stiffer collar and forward angle.
My first pair of Hardboots are actually Raichle AT boots with a little 'Snowboarding' decal on them, very warm, but I had to trim the soles to fit in newer race bindings.

split boards aren't cheap, and if you're looking for a used one, or for any Alpine Snowboard gear, take a look a the for sale section of Bomberonline:
http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/index.php

Luc

by Luc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:13 pm

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:Snowboarder drinking fountain

Try a freecarving board!
You'll figure out why they came out with all those new parabolic skis, except that they'll never match the Gs a good carving board can get when you lock down the edge!

Previous

Return to Technique and Training