Laura Molnar's Sierra Club presentation, Jan 11

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Princess Buttercup

Re: Laura Molnar's Sierra Club presentation, Jan 11

by Princess Buttercup » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Bumping this up since we're a week away! Hmm... time to finally get to work on this thing... :o

Even though the story has been told, I'm excited about being invited to share it with other folks. The meeting portion starts at 7, I think I'll probably be starting between 7:45/8??? Would love to see everyone out there.

Now, where did I put my outline? :roll:

-L

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:31 am

Go Laura! It will be hard for me to make it out there, no vision and all, but I'll be there in spirit!

Don't plan too much. Just go through the slides a couple times and talk to the wall. Make sure the club has a compatible system ("What? We thought you were bringing the computer! Your files aren't Linux compatible?").

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:40 am

MoapaPk wrote:Don't plan too much. Just go through the slides a couple times and talk to the wall.

Thumb drive purchased, CDs at the ready, will upload it to my mobileme account for the organizer to attempt to download and run prior to my arrival.

I'm entirely too much of a perfectionist to think it could be that easy, Harlan! :D

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:20 am

pssst. It's tomorrow. Come and join us if you can!

Daria

by Daria » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:23 am

Can't make it because I have evening classes in LA Monday-Wednesday. Just in case this presentation was in dire need of some Daria-ness.
I'm the top troll.

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Daria wrote: Just in case this presentation was in dire need of some Daria-ness.

Nope.

The following user would like to thank Princess Buttercup for this post
Deb, lefty

graham

by graham » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:37 pm

MooseTracks wrote: I'm entirely too much of a supercalifragilistic-uber-perfectionist …….
There….fix’d that for you :D :D

Seriously L, wish I could attend (but can’t). I know you’ll do a great job. You’ve got a real gift for capturing the Sierra experience with both photos and words, great stuff 8) I encourage folks to attend.

Cheers,
RickG

The following user would like to thank graham for this post
Princess Buttercup

ScottHanson

by ScottHanson » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Laura,
Good luck with your presentation tonight! Quite an accomplishment by you, Bob J., and Vittles to climb all 10 SC peaks in your first year of participation. To gut it out of 10 days with all of the associated bumps, bruises, sore knees, navigational challenges, etc, etc is not a trivial goal to complete. Thanks for spreading the word to a wider audience. Hope Bob Burd continues to sponsor this SC style event for another 10 years. I have enjoyed my six years of participation and met a lot of great people in the process. :)
Scott

The following user would like to thank ScottHanson for this post
Princess Buttercup

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:30 pm

MooseTracks wrote:
Daria wrote: Just in case this presentation was in dire need of some Daria-ness.

Nope.

hehe.

Deb

by Deb » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:35 pm

kevin trieu wrote:
MooseTracks wrote:

Nope.

hehe.

Seriously!! :P
Hope it went well and you didn't trip on your tongue noticeably too many times. :D

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:42 am

A huge and hearty thanks to all that came out last night to Sunnyvale! I was, truly, overwhelmed by the support shown by all who showed (and all who braved the traffic to get there. I mean, 2 hours from Belmont? WTF? The dude picked the DUMBARTON bridge to jump off? Seriously?). I was sorry to miss most of the dinner with the Challenge gang (I got one beer at least, which helped calm my nerves), and Emilie Cortes, president of the PCS, cut the "meeting" portion short due to the late start so I could get my whole show in. It was an honor and privelege to share what was a defining story for me to my parents and family friends, Doug and Earlene Thompson (owners of the Whitney Portal Store and Hostel), the PCS, and to my fellow Challengers.

I guess I was thorough: there was only one question after the end, which was the dreaded, "What's next?"

I have no idea, really. All I know is that the premise remains the same for me: set a goal, train, execute. All of which I'll try to do with grace, dignity, and strength.

"I do it because I love the beauty and simplicity of a way of living which brings confidence, which confirms resolution and calls for courage." --Colette Richard

From the luckiest girl in the world: Climb Hard; Be Safe.

-L

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:03 am

MooseTracks wrote:"I do it because I love the beauty and simplicity of a way of living which brings confidence, which confirms resolution and calls for courage." --Colette Richard
-L

Who is Colette Richard?

Only asking because I love the quote. Always like to know who I am quoting, if I, in turn, use it some time too :wink:

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:25 am

She's a mountaineer who also happens to be blind. She wrote a book, Climbing Blind which I'm pretty sure is out of print.

I first read about her in Leading Out: Mountaineering Stories of Adventurous Women (edited by Rachel da Silva). I was impressed, and related to in a way, how she feels about the mountains.

Cheers,
L

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:16 am

Thanks Laura. I knew that name sounded familar!! I've definitely heard of her before. Like the quote even more now ;-)

Previous

Return to California