Is anyone by chance planning on climbing Grays/Torreys

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
alecdavis1992

Is anyone by chance planning on climbing Grays/Torreys

by alecdavis1992 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:25 am

this week/weekend? I'm planning on doing it on Saturday possibly. Weather looks sketchy until then but I'm not sure how sketchy is too sketchy.

no avatar
mosman

Re: Is anyone by chance planning on climbing Grays/Torreys

by mosman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:35 am

Looking at doing it Sunday may change depending on weather. How much snow is up there now? We've done Gray's once in Early Nov but couldn't do Torrey's b/c of conditions. We'd like to get both this time. Arriving in CO Thursday.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:04 pm

Looking at the forecast and data from the weather stations around Colorado its obvious Its absolutely the worst weekend of the year to be out and about in the backcountry. Its very windy above 10k feet and bitterly cold basically everywhere. Most areas are seeing temps in the single digits to -25F. Basically you would need Everest/Denali type attire if out and about for extended periods of time (yes, insulated pants, Down Parkas and summit mittens plus double boots). If the wind dies down it might be doable if properly equipped but its nasty out there.

alecdavis1992

by alecdavis1992 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:59 pm

Hey everybody, I kind of forgot about this post, my memory can be somewhat spotty at times, so I apologize for not replying to any of you. Anyway, I went up there but I had to turn around about 3.5 miles in, the conditions were insane. The weather was already souring at dawn. The wind chill was around like -35 or something. I was almost dressed warmly enough but my toes were thoroughly numb, my water was frozen, and my goggles' lenses had frozen over leaving me to choose between blindness and severe frostbite haha. On top of all that, the bronchial constriction caused by the cold plus my being relatively unaccustomed to the high altitude had me moving too slowly for me to get to the top before potential afternoon storms arrived. It was a little bit of a disappointment but an interesting and valuable experience, I plan on doing it again in April.

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks for the update, hope it goes better next time!

Return to Colorado