Summer in Winter

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
drpw

Summer in Winter

by drpw » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:14 pm

When's the last time it's been this bad? Drove up to Manker flats yesterday to try and get some snow sliding in and after walking up the trail for a mile we decided to drive back and surf instead. This sucks. I get to surf whenever I want, I want some freakin' snow already. Baldy Bowl will be completely unridable by the end of this heat wave and I'm wondering if any of the local resorts are even going to be able to stay open for much longer.

The coldest summer in California for decades and now an unreal hot/dry spell in the middle of winter?

WML

Re: Summer in Winter

by WML » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:10 pm

It has been unreal warm in the Tahoe area and local resorts are definitely seeing that take its toll. Deteriorating conditions as well as decreased attendance is hurting them.

The question is, how much longer until we get knocked back with Winter again, and how long will it last?

Juneuary is in full effect....

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Personally, I am glad to have this warm spell. I bought a snow blower after the last big snow and now most of the white stuff on my property is melted off. When the snow comes again, I am starting at square one with the blower. That and I can get out and hike in some the lower canyons in my area.

The snow will come again, fear not...

Tom Kenney

by Tom Kenney » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:48 am

What? Y'all don't like June-uary?!? Besides, The Chief would say "It's normal variance...move along...nothing to see here!" (hee hee - not a "Cheif Hater" but I do healthily disagree with him on some things.)

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:31 am

I can will tell you that in NorCal in 2010 it was the worst in memory for cold and rain
Last edited by Marmaduke on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob

by Rob » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:25 am

drpw wrote:When's the last time it's been this bad?

I'm wondering if any of the local resorts are even going to be able to stay open for much longer.

The coldest summer in California for decades and now an unreal hot/dry spell in the middle of winter?

The resorts with snowmaking capabilities are doing ok, because it's been cold at night.

I'm sick of it.

+1

no avatar
Byran

by Byran » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:08 pm

I'm loving it. The last two weekends have been perfect in Yosemite. Next weekend looks good too.

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:37 am

Skied The Mountain in pretty phenomenal conditions this afternoon, mid-weight wool top, soft shell, shell pants, light gloves. Snow was perfect pack with sheared off pow on the groomers (off-groomed was ice-pack, blech). But I was looking at the drop-out chutes and wishing for fresh powpow... <sigh>

Greg Enright

by Greg Enright » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:20 am

Saw some Snowsquitos in the Mammoth Lakes basin last weekend. Don't usually see them till March.

Still cold down here in Crowley. Our high today was 23 degrees. My beard got all frosty during my midday run.

Rob

by Rob » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:54 am

Byran wrote:I'm loving it. The last two weekends have been perfect in Yosemite. Next weekend looks good too.

Yeah, January has been great for rockclimbing, might as well make the best of it! Today was perfect at Ventura County Line...2-4 foot surf and calm winds all day :D

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:21 am

Greg Enright wrote:Saw some Snowsquitos in the Mammoth Lakes basin last weekend. Don't usually see them till March.

Still cold down here in Crowley. Our high today was 23 degrees. My beard got all frosty during my midday run.

3F here in Crowley this morning @ 0645 when I left for work up on the Hill.

15F as I type this post.

Forecast is calling for 6-9" of snow above 9k on Sunday with another potential for more snow next Tuesday. All this to the already 12-16 feet of snow on the Hill. Had to dig down 3 feet to get to one of my set of timing wires last Monday. In the Summer, they are tied to the top of a 12 foot fir. That is where they were when I found them. Still tied to the top of that Fir which is currently buried under three feet of snow.

Still got a good 3-4 feet of snow in my front yard.

GFS is beginning to show the proverbial Feb-March colder temps and precip. I say March and April will be wet as the La Nina has peaked and the Jet Stream is beginning to show evidence of dipping south.

Be careful what ya'll are asking for. I remember this happening back in '75. January was hot & dry then February through April came and were cold wetass months in SoCal.

The Ice has been getting fatter each day at LVC with the B/H very climbable. First time the B/H has been this Fat in over 5 years.

No complaints here. Typical January thaw around these neck of the woods.

Tom Kenney

by Tom Kenney » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:31 am

The Chief wrote:
Greg Enright wrote:Be careful what ya'll are asking for. I remember this happening back in '75. January was hot & dry then February through April came and were cold wetass months in SoCal.

AAAAHHH-HA HA HA HA HA HAHAAAAAA!!!!! :P :) :P

Thanks, Chief! You just triggered one of the funniest memories of my childhood. Back in '75 I witnessed people rafting down Magnolia Blvd. in Sherman Oaks (south side of San Fernando Valley). Yes...I said RAFTING DOWN BLVD!!! This, on a day when my mom braved the floods to drive 4 rowdy kids to the Americana Theater in Van Nuys in a '63 VW Bug with wooden bumpers ("Save a tree, eat a beaver!") and an Octopus' Garden painted on the side. IIRC, the movie was a double feature, "Apple Dumpling Gang" and something else...

x15x15

by x15x15 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:41 am

the chief: Be careful what ya'll are asking for. I remember this happening back in '75

dhude, you are an old fart. my mom was saying the same damn thing... hehehehehe

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:08 pm

x15x15 wrote:
the chief: Be careful what ya'll are asking for. I remember this happening back in '75

dhude, you are an old fart. my mom was saying the same damn thing... hehehehehe

And my Mom taught me to listen very carefully to what Old Farts have to say and then heed them.....

Fredd C Dobbs

by Fredd C Dobbs » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:31 pm

Well said Chief!

Next

Return to California