Utah Ice Conditions (Post HERE)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Dow Williams

Re: Utah Ice Conditions (Post HERE)

by Dow Williams » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:56 am

kevin trieu wrote:Heading to Provo Canyon this weekend. Has anybody been there within the week and know if the ice is still good? Also, if peeps want to meet up, send me an email. Going to meet a buddy from St. George to find ice around there.

Cheers
Kevin

Yes on Provo. Cedarcicle is best local St. George piece right now, climbed it last night, in great shape for lead (locals call it WI 5-6; felt more like a 4+ if you are use to big ice), we ran laps and cleaned it up a bit for you. Lost its top a while back, came back in real nice. Climbed Hidden Haven yesterday as well, all good. Coldest day of the year, one of Kanarraville's ought to be back if not both. Provo, mostly all in good shape.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:07 am

Dow Williams wrote:
kevin trieu wrote:Heading to Provo Canyon this weekend. Has anybody been there within the week and know if the ice is still good? Also, if peeps want to meet up, send me an email. Going to meet a buddy from St. George to find ice around there.

Cheers
Kevin

Yes on Provo. Cedarcicle is best local St. George piece right now, climbed it last night, in great shape for lead (locals call it WI 5-6; felt more like a 4+ if you are use to big ice), we ran laps and cleaned it up a bit for you. Lost its top a while back, came back in real nice. Climbed Hidden Haven yesterday as well, all good. Coldest day of the year, one of Kanarraville's ought to be back if not both. Provo, mostly all in good shape.

Sweet! Thanks Dow. I have a partner but would be cool to meet up for a brew. Went to a dinner with Michelle P. a few nights ago and you came up in the conversation. All good things. 8)

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:41 pm

kevin trieu wrote:Sweet! Thanks Dow. I have a partner but would be cool to meet up for a brew. Went to a dinner with Michelle P. a few nights ago and you came up in the conversation. All good things. 8)

If you know Michelle, then it is well known I do drink beer among other heathenistic virtues I bestow. I enjoy climbing with Michelle, she is a great partner. Drop a message when in town. Cedarcicle is awesome. Best Mexican food in southern Utah will be waiting for you at the old house on main street, Cedar City. Go with the cactus burrito.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Liba, here is that photo of what we were trying yesterday....damn close, but really way too wet yet...afraid it will never make it...we took our gear in thinking we finally had it

bubbles

by bubbles » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:29 pm

GWI is in quite decently, but the weather turned to crap on the second pitch and was forced to bail :cry:

bubbles

by bubbles » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:29 pm

GWI is in quite decently, but the weather turned to crap on the second pitch and was forced to bail :cry:

Previous

Return to Utah