training milage

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
leroux

training milage

by leroux » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:53 pm

i know this is a "newbie" question, and i would like t think im not.
How many miles of training (on average) do you think is enough per week for a 82 mile trip over 7-8 days on the high Sierra trail?

right now im doing about 16-20 at a good pace around town and at the gym and trying to do 8- 12 out in the local fire roads. also weight training. 2-3 times a month hitting the local SoCal mnts (baldy, san G and San J)

ScottyP

Re: training milage

by ScottyP » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:27 am

I don't know specifics on the miles I did but the most valuable training I did was back-to-back days. I may do 12-15 miles with 3500' on Saturday followed by another 10-12 miles on Sunday and another 3000' or so all with a heavy pack. That served me well for Denali and Aconcagua.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:52 am

leroux wrote:i know this is a "newbie" question, and i would like t think im not.
How many miles of training (on average) do you think is enough per week for a 82 mile trip over 7-8 days on the high Sierra trail?

right now im doing about 16-20 at a good pace around town and at the gym and trying to do 8- 12 out in the local fire roads. also weight training. 2-3 times a month hitting the local SoCal mnts (baldy, san G and San J)

you should try any combination of those peaks on a weekend via the longer routes. Baldy via Bear Canyon, San G via Vivian Creek or South Fork, San J via Skyline or Marion. if you can do it with a pack and within the next couple of weeks, even better. that should answer your question. 8)

leroux

by leroux » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:47 pm

thanks for the feed back. i just now need to ditch this cold.....training through it has been rough this week

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:33 pm

When training for a 3-day fastpack of the Wonderland Trail (103 miles from the Carbon River Ranger Station) in July 2008, I did a training program similar to ScottyP's routine.

I did back-to-back hill repeats routines with a 45 lb pack up 4200 ft (4-5 hours) on Saturday and Sundays.

That was more than enough training for covering 35 miles/day with a 17 lb pack. I hiked the climbs and ran the flats and downhills. If fact, it was downright wimpy with hot lunches at Sunrise and Longmire.

kovarpa

by kovarpa » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:29 pm

leroux wrote:i know this is a "newbie" question, and i would like t think im not.

you don't need to do any training for that. We did JMT in 14 days without any specific training whatsoever.

no avatar
foweyman

by foweyman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:36 pm

kovarpa wrote:

you don't need to do any training for that. We did JMT in 14 days without any specific training whatsoever.

Agree, 10-12 miles/day should be easy since it sounds like you are already in decent shape. Of course, the more training you do the easier it will be and you'll have more energy for side trips. If you were a 50% body fat couch potato or were planning on a 35 m/d sufferfest, more training would certainly be advised.

peninsula

by peninsula » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:07 am

foweyman wrote:
kovarpa wrote:

Agree, 10-12 miles/day should be easy since it sounds like you are already in decent shape. Of course, the more training you do the easier it will be and you'll have more energy for side trips. If you were a 50% body fat couch potato or were planning on a 35 m/d sufferfest, more training would certainly be advised.

I'll third that. If you have sound base conditioning (regular exercise all year around... nothing serious other than a commitment to do workouts 3 to 4 times a week whether it be yard maintenance, jogging, whatever), without being overweight, additional training will do more for wear and tear (especially us older gezzers) than it will benefit when it comes to class 3 and under (I don't rope climb, so I'll leave the debate beyond class 3 to others). And don't forget the ibuprofen!

drpw

by drpw » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:12 pm

Just be mentally prepared. Humans were built to walk. I for example am a walking machine, I could walk all day.

no avatar
Skateboards2Scrapers

by Skateboards2Scrapers » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:19 pm

SOUNZ LIKE AN enjoyabel walk, just hope yer joints are ready

and by that i mean for the pounding, or smoking if you will, they will receive on the trail for a multitude of days

epicclimb

by epicclimb » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:48 pm

hillz man. run as many hillz as u can and you will be ready. ur body will adapt after the first few dayz of pain. push thru and float it. :)

Return to Technique and Training