Glacier National Park Recommended climbs?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
triyoda

Glacier National Park Recommended climbs?

by triyoda » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:54 pm

I am going to be in Glacier for 8 - 10 days in early to mid-July. I realize this may not be the ideal time, but that is how the timing will work out for me. I am looking for some suggested peaks to climb. Typically I prefer long day hikes (10-15 miles, 5000') over overnight, but I am flexible and would be up for a night or two out. I will most likely be traveling alone. I am comfortable on Class 4 terrain (although it sounds like Glacier uses it own rating system) and steep snow.

From what I have found so far, I have come up with several potential peaks.

1. Mt. Cleveland, highest in the park. Looks like nice views. What route would you recommend?
2. Mt. Wilbur looks pretty awesome. I would probably need to hire a guide for this one. Any suggestions?
3. Mt. Kintia. I read a trip report for this peak and it looks amazing.

Ideally I would like to have 6 or 7 good ideas to research and hope to hit 5 or 6 peaks if conditions are right. I would love to hear your top five choices. It would be nice to have a mix of fun climbing and great views. I have a copy of a climbers guide to Glacier NP, but unfortunately not a lot of pictures.

EarMountain

Re: Glacier National Park Recommended climbs?

by EarMountain » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:28 pm

All three are good climbs.

Kintla has only been done once as a day climb and that was probably close to 24 hours.

There is no commercial climbing guide service in Glacier NP. The Glacier Wilderness Guides are restricted to trails.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.

triyoda

by triyoda » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:21 am

I am worried about the snow and access problems. What is the best recommended topo map of the park. I know there are the National Geographic maps which are pretty good, but sometimes I have found a more local company makes better maps. I need to order a map to figure out where things are in relation to each other, and based on your comment I need to plan for contingencies if Logan pass is not open.

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:19 pm

If snow is a problem, consider some combination of Henkel, Crowfeet, and Apikuni. This area tends to melt off fairly early. Any two for a moderate day and all 3 for a long day. Can be done in several different ways and in different order. Links to all can be found here:

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-henkel/152749

pyerger

by pyerger » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:03 pm

Do you have a copy of Gordon Edwards, climbing Glacier park? A must read!

Considering the time of year, and climbing solo, this would be my list of favorites.

#1 Mt Jackson, 10 to 12 hours, class 3. A cruiser trail to Gunsight lake, climbs very well with snow (take an ice ax) awesome views to Blackfoot, and Harrison glacier.

#2 Mt Edwards west ridge (classic) some short easy 5th class,mostly 3 class, seldom climbed route, but has some of the
best rock in the park, standard route down.

#3 Mt rockwell, great fourth class finish!! many trail miles, long day, Likely to have less snow.

#4 Rising wolf, south face, 3 class, minimal snow, shorter day.

#5 going to the sun mountain 4 class shorter day.

Here are a few other great climbs, that I personally would not climb solo.

#6 Mt. Wilbur, thin mans pleasure, 5 class, A must climb!

#7 Split peak, 5 class finish, great rock, rappel the back side. (solo???)

#8 Blackfoot mountain Awesome climb, can be done in a very long day, glaciers, ice falls, crevasses.
Other fantastic climbs, that would be better in later season, Heavens peak, Kintla, Cleveland, Kinnerly, little matterhorn.

Cheers

sushiman

by sushiman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:34 pm

#1 if you can get to the pass i would say a link-up of bishops cap, piegan and pollock.

#2 Stanton and Vaught

#3 Wilbur might be in shape

#4 an overnight at gunsight lake and a climb of either Mt. jackson, Blackfoot, and Mt. logan or all three if you are burly

#5 Divide mtn near st. mary's might be fun too.

the weather guessers are calling for a warmer and drier summer in the northwest, so early to mid july might be great! who knows...

Colonel Kilgore

by Colonel Kilgore » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:23 pm

If you're new to climbing in the park, you ought to go to Logan Pass and climb Reynolds, Bearhat, or Clements first to get you a sense of the peaks without a major time or distance commitment. Then you can head for the backcountry once you know a little better what you're getting into.

triyoda

by triyoda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:20 am

Thanks for all the ideas. This makes it a lot easier to dissect the guidebook, rather than just try to read the whole thing.

seano

by seano » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:41 am

Colonel Kilgore wrote:If you're new to climbing in the park, you ought to go to Logan Pass and climb Reynolds...

Just driving Logan Pass is pretty cool. If you do Reynolds, you might as well add Dragontail as well.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)