Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Kilimanjaro Solo

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Kilimanjaro Solo

Postby Cosmo1111 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:53 pm

I have read a lot of different infomation about climbing Kilimanjaro. Some say you have to climb it with a porter/guide, some say you can climb it without. I have climbed a few major peaks without a guide and would love to climb Kilimanjaro solo. Is this possible?
Thank you
Cosmo1111

Re: Kilimanjaro Solo

Postby WouterB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:52 am

It is possible. You would just have to find a way of getting in to the park unseen and not camp in the provided camps as rangers usually come and check everyone's permit in the evening. However, if you shop around a bit, you'll no doubt find a company that offers a tour in your price range. There's no need to take porters and the cost of taking just a guide is really low!

Ps: Next time you might want to post this in the Africa forum. You'll get more responses there.
WouterB

Re: Kilimanjaro Solo

Postby pygmalion » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:42 pm

To go without a porter doesn't seem to be a problem. Many agencies will allow it (such as Adventure Kenya Safaris and other smaller companies).
I hope to do Kili and Mt. Kenya with them this summer and they seem a great outfit. To climb Kili entirely alone is probably possible, but do realize it's against Tanzanian law. Good luck!
"Mountains are earth's undecaying monuments."
-- Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804 - 1864)
pygmalion

Return to General