split mtn accident

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
jareds

split mtn accident

by jareds » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:43 am

http://www.powdermag.com/mantle/kip-garre-1973-2011/

Overdue since late Tuesday from a ski mountaineering outing to Split Mountain, south of Bishop, Calif., the bodies of Kip Garre and Allison Kreutzen were discovered today during a search-and-rescue operation, Powder.com has confirmed.

sucks to hear. was planning on heading to that area tomorrow morning for the weekend, def gotta be careful out there

SKI

Re: split mtn accident

by SKI » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:27 am

RIP, Great skiers

WML

by WML » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:26 am

Absolutely tragic

The friends and family involved in all of this are in my thoughts and prayers.

RIP

Denjem

by Denjem » Tue May 03, 2011 6:29 pm

I am glad that the dog is alright. That could have been even worse. Poor pup.

The following user would like to thank Denjem for this post
rockymtnclimber

Tonka

by Tonka » Tue May 03, 2011 7:44 pm

Denjem wrote:I am glad that the dog is alright. That could have been even worse. Poor pup.

I'm hoping you just didn't think this one through because I find the post in very bad taste.

Denjem

by Denjem » Tue May 03, 2011 10:25 pm

If you read the article, the dog was left in the car. Do you like to see dogs die? I do not. Did I say anything bad about the the skiers? No. As a dog owner, would I go backcountry skiing and leave my dog locked up in the car? No. Did I say anything about people who do? No. So, I hope you rethink your post, because there was nothing that was bad taste in mine.

RIP Kip and Allison

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue May 03, 2011 10:31 pm

I have to agree with the above concern regarding the poor dog. I was put back when I read that they had left the dog in the car knowing that they would be at a min of 12 hours on this excursion.

Very bad juju and I would NEVER leave either of my two dogs in my vehicle for that long of a period, NEVER!

My condolences and prayers to the family and friends of Kip and Allison.

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue May 03, 2011 10:59 pm

Denjem wrote:So, I hope you rethink your post, because there was nothing that was bad taste in mine.

RIP Kip and Allison

I'll try to put this politely as possible, but my initial reaction was the same as Tonka's. In fact, I was going to post something similar to Tonka's but reconsidered and didn't bother since you can't unring a bell and that you didn't intend it to be interpreted the way Tonka did. Then I read your reply to Tonka and was almost as offended by that response.

We all love dogs and are happy that the dog is fine. However, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, your post came across as insensitive. I'm sure you didn't intend anything insensitive in your post. However, your rude reply to Tonka, who was merely pointing out a social courtesy, was almost as brusque by implying that your insensitive post could in no way be interpreted as callous. Clearly, that's open to interpretation. I believe that if the skiers' families read your thoughts, they would very likely agree.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue May 03, 2011 11:09 pm

I too am glad the dog is OK. Sad for the people, but happy there is some good out of this. Good comes along so rarely in this type of situation, that I want to embrace it when I see it.

Return to California