Photo protection

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
gabr1

Re: Photo protection

by gabr1 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:23 am

Yes, i know, but watermark doesn't necessarily mean ownership. It could be stated in the conditions when you join sp, that there is the option, if you agree, to have images watermarked to protect them from theft. You obviously maintain ownership, but it would avoid (personally speaking...) the hassle of watermarking each image.

logged in members would be able to see sp just as it is now, with no invasive watermarks, but for anyone else it wouldn't be possible to download the clean version.

I don't know what this would require techinically, to be done. But for sure copyright of the image would be unaffected.

Or, an alternative might be to insert some code in the upload page giving the possibility to watermark images with one's username.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun May 15, 2011 2:25 pm

I built and mantained a Web site that, among other things, was a online gallery of underwater photographs of marine organisms. We had a policy of free use for gov't, educational, or other not-for profit groups. One of the marine biologists came to me very angry. A consultant who was bidding a job used (her) photos, downloaded from our Website,without permission in their proposal.

I had used some simple JavaScript that disabled right click-save image and displayed a pop up box indicating who to contact to get full resolution images. Since this was not keeping folks completely honest, I was tasked with watermarking thousands of images.

I looked into writing some code that would display a watermark on the images when downloaded, but that was beyond my sixth grade coding abbilities so I punted and ran all the images through photo editing software to add custom watermarks in batches.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun May 15, 2011 2:29 pm

Hint for those in the software field: anytime somebody asks you do something hard, use lots of phrases like:

"Hmmm, let me do some research and circle back to you"

"Well, that would be the long tent pole then"

"I would recommend getting the low hanging fruit first"

"This sounds like a pressing issue. Let me make a quick fix then think about a long term, elegant solution".

toc

Re: Watermark

by toc » Sun May 15, 2011 3:23 pm

Automatically generated watermark might be good idea to start with.

Number of photo pages, stockphoto pages do this.

Simple .php script?

toc

Re: watermark

by toc » Sun May 15, 2011 3:26 pm

few test images:

no abusive layout, no mention of copyright

gabr1

by gabr1 » Sun May 15, 2011 4:53 pm

It looks good. The only prblem i can see is that people might cut off the last half centimeter of a photo...

Is the idea of making the watermark disappear for logged in viewers too complicated? i'm afraid it could mean you two copies of each image should be uploaded, one unmarked and one with the scar...

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sun May 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Just an idea, what if the watermark showed your username instead? :)

nartreb

by nartreb » Mon May 16, 2011 7:58 pm

Better: let users add their own watermarks. It's really really easy to do.

To support the learning-impaired, adding a watermark could be an option during upload. Users could even specify the text to use as the watermark.

I of course will choose not to add a watermark.

This could be a poll question: if SP added a watermark option, would you use it?

JasonH

by JasonH » Mon May 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:Just an idea, what if the watermark showed your username instead? :)

That would be the better way to go. I think a watermark that says Summitpost, implies SP owns the photo.
I have a demon in me - Stu

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon May 16, 2011 9:18 pm

One user has added watermarks to most of her photos, and the photos still get high ratings. If a person finds this process too tedious, then s/he may be uploading too many photos.

gabr1

by gabr1 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:32 pm

you have a good point MoapaPk...
But still, as it seems like there are protection issues for the material posted on sp, i think that maybe a setting for watermarlk on the upload page wouldn't be a bad idea. Of course i know nothing about the technical aspects of implementing this, but that is another question.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Fri May 20, 2011 4:45 am

We need to hire this guy on SP! :lol:

Previous

Return to Site Feedback