Uintas --> Allsop - Deadhorse - Helen - Priord Loop?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
46and2

Uintas --> Allsop - Deadhorse - Helen - Priord Loop?

by 46and2 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:21 pm

Anyone ever make the loop from Allsop Lake to West Fork Blacks Fork to Rock Creek and back over the crest via Ostler Pass? I'll be out there next month but I surmise that there will be far too much snow, particulatly on Deadhorse Pass, to complete. I may also try in September.

I have read there is an old trail over Ostler Pass but I have seen nothing on how best to ascend Allsop Pass from Allsop Lake.

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

Re: Uintas --> Allsop - Deadhorse - Helen - Priord Loop?

by ZeeJay » Wed May 18, 2011 4:15 am

I hiked over Allsop pass about 20 years ago from the opposite direction. It was very difficult coming down as it was so steep that we couldn't see the whole slope at once and hence couldn't pick out a route that went all the way to the bottom. We had to traverse back and forth across the ledges working our way down a little at a time. It was tough with external frame backpacks. From the direction you are going, you have the advantage of seeing the whole thing at once. Here's a picture of what I would try, but there is no guarantee of success. I think that the way we came down was significantly to the left of the arrow, but the gully the arrow is pointing to looks better to me.

46and2

by 46and2 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:35 am

Thanks Zeejay! Yeah, coming up from this side would be easier.

I poked around for a higher-res version of that image on SP but could not find it. Do you have one?

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Wed May 18, 2011 1:59 pm

Try clicking this link and then clicking on the picture to zoom.

http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspac ... 716585.jpg

jfrishmanIII

by jfrishmanIII » Wed May 18, 2011 9:07 pm

I asked Scott Patterson this question some years ago, and his reply was that it was pretty doable if you're comfortable on talus and scree. I believe he pointed me towards that same notch in Zeejay's photo. Didn't end up going, but I'd still love to try it someday. FYI, the book "Utah's Wilderness Areas: The Complete Guide" talks about the Helen-to-Priord crossing, sounds like no problem besides some route finding.

Dmitry Pruss

by Dmitry Pruss » Fri May 20, 2011 2:52 am

I've been up that gully before; not that narrow and not that steep when you're up close. But were ascending in a driving rain, and as shale turned into shale-mud mix near the top, it was uncomfortably slippery. Should be better in better weather.

We tried crossing to the South by Red Knob later in the day, but the rain turned into freezing sleet and we chose to retreat down West Fk Blacks Fk. The weather started to improve the following day, when we bagged Tokewanna, and returned over Deadmans, for a loop of two full days and two half days

46and2

by 46and2 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:20 am

Thanks everyone. Good info.

DP - I know a little how you feel. I was in the Badlands in SD a few years ago... try even walking on that terrain when it is wet. My shoes had what felt like two inches of gunk on them and they weighed 3x their normal weight.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat May 21, 2011 12:52 am

The ascent to Allsop Pass from Allsop Lake is much easier if you do it on the left side of the photo above and then contour over the cliff bands to the pass. I crossed it many times, especially in 1990 and 1991 when I worked near the EFBR trailhead.

Return to Utah