Snow on Mt. Elbert in Mid June

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
groll

Snow on Mt. Elbert in Mid June

by groll » Mon May 23, 2011 5:02 pm

I'll be coming through CO from UT to climb Mt. Ebert on June 15th. Can any of the locals give me an idea of what to expect for snow on the trail up? Over here in Utah, we are still seeing significant snow pack in the high elevations. We just had 3' of snow at Alta last week ??? Are there any cams on the mountain to see what I'll be facing. I don't mind bringing the necessary gear, but we'll be coming in on motorbikes and so packing is a little more complicated.
Thanks in advance...
Matt

pingzingr

Re: Snow on Mt. Elbert in Mid June

by pingzingr » Mon May 23, 2011 7:40 pm

I have the same question about the Front Range as well. Looking at Bierstadt, Evans, Longs, Torreys, and Greys.

chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Mon May 23, 2011 8:25 pm

Things are pretty heavily snowed here, especially the peask farther to the north. I climbed La Plata (practically right next to Elbert) last week on May 15 and it was almost all snow from the trailhead at 10,100'. Some of it is pretty deep too, and on a warm day the wallowing gets pretty ridiculous, but can be mitigated some with snowshoes. I imagine Elbert is holding a lot of snow in the trees too, and I can see the upper route from driving through Leadville the last couple of weeks and its got a lot of snow up there too still.

Its hard to say what June 15 will be like, but I would imagine that this year Mid-June is going to require snowshoes, waterproof boots, and tall (knee high) gaitors. Should be soft enough and the ridge is gentle enough to not need ice axe or crampons though, usually don't need them on Elbert anyway.

Can't answer to the Front Range as I haven't been by it in a while, but last I heard Torreys and Grays trailhead was undriveable, you can only get maybe 1/2 mile above I-70 before its snow covered the whole way.

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Mon May 23, 2011 9:03 pm

pingzingr

by pingzingr » Mon May 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Fletch wrote:
pingzingr wrote:I have the same question about the Front Range as well. Looking at Bierstadt, Evans, Longs, Torreys, and Greys.

Torreys (L) and Greys (R) from last weekend...

Yeah for me that looks ok and quite fun :D For the others that I plan on hiking with not so much...maybe we won't be knocking off a Front Range 14er or two...mmm

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Wed May 25, 2011 2:12 am

pingzingr wrote:I have the same question about the Front Range as well. Looking at Bierstadt, Evans, Longs, Torreys, and Greys.

Arapahoe Basin ski area still has a 100" base, and it was snowing pretty hard when I left today. Expect plenty of snow to still be there in a couple weeks.

BTW - There was also evidence of recent slides down almost every couloir in sight. That should settle out if we don't get a lot more snow, but it's something to keep an eye on.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Wed May 25, 2011 3:24 am

Just noticed that there was a boarder killed in a slide on Torrey's over the weekend. CAIC will be shut down in June, so be careful if you head up that way.

Return to Colorado