Crabtree Pass

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
peninsula

Crabtree Pass

by peninsula » Tue May 31, 2011 2:22 pm

Years ago, I had posted the question of negotiating Crabtree Pass as approached from the South. The best I can make of it, the approach to the pass from Sky Blue Lake is relatively straight forward, but the North side is where I'm less confident when descending towards Crabtree Lakes. When SP overhauled the site several months ago, I lost my original post on the subject, so here again I am asking for advice as I don't trust my recollection! My recollection is that descending and boulder hopping the North shore of the upper-most lake below Crabtree pass is the better choice, but I know people have done the South shoreline, too. Any advice on descending Crabtree Pass and which shoreline to shoot for would be appreciated!

peninsula

Re: Crabtree Pass

by peninsula » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:01 pm

Bump... anyone?

thegib

Re: Crabtree Pass

by thegib » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:25 am

I've done it twice and was pleasantly surprised each time at the lack of laborious talus hopping. (Short memory) There's a use trail of sorts on the north side of the highest lake, it's very straight forward, and very lovely as you descend to Crabtree lakes. Of course there'll be a alot of snow all year I expect.

The following user would like to thank thegib for this post
peninsula

Return to California