Mountain Hardwear EV2 vs Bibler I-Tent

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
ExcitableBoy

Re: Mountain Hardwear EV2 vs Bibler I-Tent

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:23 pm

dskoon wrote:
ExcitableBoy wrote:
Mooner wrote:Soo (to anyone out there). if you had the choice what would you go with and why?

4 lb, 5 oz
1 lb, 6 oz[/u]
6 lbs, 1 oz

Hey EB, not to nitpick, but, not sure you're math here is correct. Ounces, right? not just adding the numbers, ie, shouldn't the correct math be 5lbs. 11oz?
Btw, I'm not an ounce counter!

Duhh, 16 ounces in a pound, right? Thanks for pointing that out :oops:

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:48 am

I just noticed my initals are the name of an old rock climbing shoe. It was not intentional.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:38 am

a friend and I were just talking about the EV2 and we discussed that the EV2 vestitube has a floor which prevents you from digging in front of your tent for sitting and cooking, whatever that's worth.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:12 pm

kevin trieu wrote:a friend and I were just talking about the EV2 and we discussed that the EV2 vestitube has a floor which prevents you from digging in front of your tent for sitting and cooking, whatever that's worth.

I thought you could un-zip the floor of the vestiuble allowing one to cook inside? If not, that defeats half the purpose of a vestibule. I can't remember how many days I spent storm bound cooking in a vestibule.

Trawinski

by Trawinski » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:46 pm

I bought an EV-2 last year because the MH store where I live was practically giving them away (I think I paid $300). I kept hearing that at medium altitude and temperate climates like the Pac Northwest, the inside would get soaked (or iced up) with condensation. I have not found that to be the case. On the contrary, it was dry as a bone, although I have not yet used it with 2 people (I'll actually be trying it in a couple of weeks and can report back.) I think if you fail to open the vents, you will have condensation issues, but there are huge signs saying that if you fail to open the vents, you will suffoctae! All in all, I really like it, but I can't imagine paying full price unless I planned to pitch it at the South Col or similar environment.

Couple notes: Someone mentioned the EV-2 Direct Ascent. At the "Hardware Store" I pitched the EV-2 and the direct ascent side-by-side. The DA is TINY! I wouldn't recommend it. If it snows, your tent will be completely inundated. Better off grabbing a bivy sack and digging a snow cave. I think it's been discontinued anyways.
Last edited by Trawinski on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cdog

by cdog » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:59 am

I own a Bibler Eldorado, which is slightly larger (5" length, 3" width) than the I-Tent. If you're over 6' tall I would recommend the Eldorado. I have spent quite a bit of time in the EV2, including 3 weeks on Aconcagua. We cooked in the tent a lot, and found it to be very sturdy in the wind. I would rate the EV2 stronger in serious weather than the Eldorado. On the other hand, I feel that the Bibler material breathes much better than the Mountain Hardwear single wall material. The EV2 did fit well for my 6'2" frame. Food for thought - they both have their plusses and minuses. In conclusion, I personally think the Bibler Eldorado is the most versatile.

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:40 pm

The zipper in the front of the EV2 is simply that: a zipper, not a flap that creates any sort of larger opening. This is what Kev and I were discussing: the integrated vestibule does create more space but I find it awkward to move around inside the tent. Mostly, it's a comfortable 1-man tent; I would find it very tough not to kick the crap out of my tent partner while moving around in there.

Now, the thing is bomb proof, and the ventilation system I find is better than the Bibler-style tents (since there are pop-out windows instead of having to leave a door open).

I've also cooked inside of the tent a number of times, but using my cannister stove. I would worry about using a white gas stove in there, but that's mainly because of my inexperience with using a WG stove. I'd probably set myself on fire.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:26 pm

MooseTracks wrote:I would worry about using a white gas stove in there, but that's mainly because of my inexperience with using a WG stove. I'd probably set myself on fire.

I would worry about that too. Cue The Chief in 3..2..1

Mooner

by Mooner » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:49 pm

Thank you everyone for the good debate and info on both tents. I am 6'1 and I actually went to BD here in SLC, UT and climbed inside the Eldorado and the I-Tent and found them both to be uncomfortably short. In the I-Tent my head and feet could touch both ends of the tent. In the Eldorado I only had about 4 inches to spare. I got in the EV-2 and WOW it is spacious for my long body. The vestibule in the EV2 is the tent pretty much and I can lay down and strech my arms over head and extent my body as much as I can and still have room to spare from the end to end. The tent have 5 vents and I do like the little windows. The EV2 is sweet... expecially for me, being that I am tall. I feel very satisfied with my choice. Now it is time to take it out and enjoy some cold, beautiful, high enviroments. Thanks everyone. :D

JHH60

by JHH60 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:07 am

I think the short length of the iTent is a feature, not a bug, as we say here in Geekistan. It reduces weight, allows the tent to fit in the smallest possible space on a ledge, and minimizes the effort required to dig out a platform for the tent. I assume it's also the reason they bother to make the tent in two sizes, so that people shorter than 5'10" don't have to carry the extra size and weight of the bigger tent. I'm 5'8" and I don't have a lot of extra room in my iTent, but so far I've been able to squeeze the stuff I absolutely need into the tent, and let the rest go outside or into the vestibule. That said, I'm sure you'll be happy with the EV2 - Mountain Hardwear makes great gear.

Previous

Return to Gear