What do you eat on desert hikes?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Tonka

What do you eat on desert hikes?

by Tonka » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:46 pm

Just wondering what different kind of eats people bring to the desert. We're doing the Grand Canyon R to R (South to North) this Sat and I'd like to switch up my normal food selection a bit. I'm usually the salami, bagel, trail mix and bars type but when it gets hot that stuff seems too heavy. We've done peeled oranges on other hot hikes and I really like the citrus and I know you need some salty things but thats never an issue. What do you desert hikers like to eat in the heat?

sbkelley

Re: What do you eat on desert hikes?

by sbkelley » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:54 pm

I know it sounds a little strange, but I usually bring a carton of cherry/grape tomatoes. The extra water in them is always welcome, and they always hit the spot when it's hot. I also bring triscuits (smaller and easier to eat than bagels), thin-sliced salami and string cheese. As you've already noted, oranges are a usual staple - same for electrolyte drinks - in high temps. Good luck and have fun!

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:12 pm

Tonka,

In the desert I carry a lot more salty food than in an alpine environment. This isn't just a matter of "what tastes good," but a matter of safety, to help the body retain water.

Also, in the desert I carry Thermotabs (I have chronic LOW blood pressure) to keep my salt levels sufficient.

Finally, even though you didn't ask: Wear that dorky, big-brimmed hat with the "sheik flaps" covering your ears and neck. You will stay cooler and avoid sunburn.

Have fun,
Sarah
Go climb a mountain

Tonka

by Tonka » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:20 pm

sarah.simon wrote:Tonka,

In the desert I carry a lot more salty food than in an alpine environment. This isn't just a matter of "what tastes good," but a matter of safety, to help the body retain water.

Also, in the desert I carry Thermotabs (I have chronic LOW blood pressure) to keep my salt levels sufficient.

Finally, even though you didn't ask: Wear that dorky, big-brimmed hat with the "sheik flaps" covering your ears and neck. You will stay cooler and avoid sunburn.

Have fun,
Sarah

Funny! I have one of those dorky hats and I will be wearing it. The salty food won't be an issue because I probably carry too much as it is already :)

cab

by cab » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:54 pm

I love eating grapes on any hike. They are easy to eat and don't require any preparation (i.e. peeling). Sometimes I even pluck them all off the vine before I leave and then they are ready to eat without any work at all.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:44 pm

Pretty much the same crap I eat elsewhere on hikes. The citrus can be part of your water, but I don't like carrying any more weight than I have to, and know where to get water on the main trails. I eat lots of bars (many just from the grocery store), lots of dried cherries/berries, those little pre-packed crackers and cheese or peanut butter. Mainly stuff that doesn't melt. Some people like dried beef nuggets (NOT the leather-like jerky).

I make up my own drink mix with a bit higher potassium than gatorade or powerade, but mainly my food has the salt.

It should be about 100F at the bottom this weekend. Eat your melty stuff on the rim and early in the day.

Frankly, I don't eat much on hikes; eat a good breakfast, and hydrate well before you start. You can suck down the lemonade they sell at the store, if you are going by Phantom Ranch-- that will give you a few hundred calories, and an excuse to sit in swamp-cooled room.

Trawinski

by Trawinski » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:54 pm

I second the grapes suggestion, but add that if it's going to be hot enough on your hike, it's fun to freeze them the night before and eat them when they are slushy. Messy yes, but YUMMMMY.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:07 am

Then again, if things get desperate, I'm sure you can get all SORTS of culinary ideas from this site.

Pictured here is a Desert Blister Beatle, photo by Bob Sihler.
Go climb a mountain

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:53 am

I've been living and/or hiking in the desert for 20 years.

Tomatoes, salt shaker, bread, peanut butter, almonds, raisins, hard-boiled eggs, blueberries, cheese, chocolate bars, oysters ...

If you like fish, you can get Kippered Snacks. If you like meat, Vienna Sausage. You can eat pork and beans COLD.

When I was camped at Indian Gardens, a Ringtail chewed a hole in my pack trying to fetch a Hostess fruit pie. I really got mad,
for cryin' out LOUD.

8)
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Return to General