Dayhike/scramble near SLC?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
triyoda

Dayhike/scramble near SLC?

by triyoda » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:28 pm

I will be in the area for a day or two in late June. Looking for a one day trip, up to 15 miles and 4-5000' ascent (although shorter, easier is okay, just don't want to limit myself). Within 1-2 hours of SLC is my definition of "near". Thanks.

cdog

Re: Dayhike/scramble near SLC?

by cdog » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:17 pm

I was in your situation a couple years ago. I climbed Mt Olympus and really enjoyed it. We did the Forgotten Arete, which was fun a with just the right amount of spice for a mixed condition solo. There are a ton of mountains in the area do-able in a day hike, so I'm sure you can find something ideal for the length and difficulty you're seeking. Have fun!

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-olympus/151263

The following user would like to thank cdog for this post
triyoda

no avatar
mtnview

by mtnview » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:59 pm

Here are two good ones that I have done.

http://www.truedino.com/timpanogos.htm

http://www.truedino.com/neboutah.htm

Not sure what conditions will be like in late June as they trips were in late August.

Regards

triyoda

by triyoda » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:44 pm

I actually did Olympus in March a few years ago, on my last trip. Should have mentioned that. Very enjoyable climb and easy to get to.

spengy

by spengy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:37 pm

mtnview wrote:Here are two good ones that I have done.

http://www.truedino.com/timpanogos.htm

http://www.truedino.com/neboutah.htm

Not sure what conditions will be like in late June as they trips were in late August.

Regards

Although things will be melted out a little more by late June, Timp and Nebo are still very much snow-covered.

mountainal

by mountainal » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:38 pm

how do you feel about snow? There will still be lots of snow even by the end of the month. You may need an Ice axe for safety to do one of the higher peaks. All of them will be in good shape by then though. Some of the better ones are broad fork twins, sunrise, dromedary, lone pk, north and/or south thunder(s), pfeifferhorn, white baldy, red baldy, devils castle, mt superior, monte cristo, box elder peak (the one near alpine), timpanogos, cascade mtn, mt nebo.

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:51 am

My vote would be for the Pheifferhorn. It's got a well defined, well used route and if you are going on a weekend you would most likely run into other groups which might come in handy since you are unfamiliar with the territory. Even on weekdays if the weather is nice there would probably be other people around.

http://www.summitpost.org/pfeifferhorn/151177

HunterE

by HunterE » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:22 pm

Looking to get out tomorrow for a solo climb. Are snow conditions ok for a reasonably safe solo pfiefferhorn or east ridge of timp? Any other suggestions?

Joseph Bullough

by Joseph Bullough » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:40 pm

In late June I would also suggest the Pfeifferhorn. A little bit of trail hiking, a little bit of scrambling, and great views. My guess is that there will be snow from Red Pine lake to the top of the headwall, but from there it should be mostly dry. The snow will probably be quite consolidated by then.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Looking for a one day trip, up to 15 miles and 4-5000' ascent (although shorter, easier is okay, just don't want to limit myself).

I would suggest doing the Beatout if you know how to use an ice axe. This year, it should be excellent in late June.

The Beatout is Red Pine to Bells Canyon and passes over several really cool summits including the Pfeifferhorn.

triyoda

by triyoda » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:15 pm

The beatout looks cool, but I am solo so I am not sure how I could link it up. How far apart are the trailheads, would it be reasonable to walk back?

Joseph Bullough

by Joseph Bullough » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:27 pm

triyoda wrote:The beatout looks cool, but I am solo so I am not sure how I could link it up. How far apart are the trailheads, would it be reasonable to walk back?

The walk back up the canyon would be around 6 miles with 2,400 feet of elevation gain. You'd probably have pretty good success if you tried to hitchhike. More importantly, for someone not familiar with the area, the descent out of Bells Canyon canyon can be a chore.

Return to Utah