Shasta Conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Vitaliy M.

Re: Shasta Conditions?

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:11 am

Vitaliy M. wrote:
SJ wrote:
Vitaliy M. wrote:best way would be to day-hike it.

Because?

Correction, it is the best way to do it if you want to go light and fast as one of the posters suggested (better than packing your camp over the mountain). Personally, I did Casaval as a day hike and as an overnight. I enjoyed both in their own unique ways. There is no right way to do it, just don't get hurt, be self sufficient, and leave no trace.

no avatar
schaffner

by schaffner » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:56 am

can anybody confirm if the catwalk has been melted out? Shastaavalanche.org says it is, but mountshastaguide.com says it's passable as of a few days ago. I was hoping to go this upcoming weekend.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:21 am

just go, and if it is not passable cut back towards west face and pass that section there...explore. Catwalk is not the most exciting part of the route by any means.

mtndonkey

by mtndonkey » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:37 pm

The catwalk was in good shape as of Sat, we just walked across it.

Trawinski

by Trawinski » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Morning SPers,

Can anyone tell me if snowshoes are required for approaches to Hidden Valley now? I'll be bringing them up to Bunny Flat, but really don't want to wear them unless I have to.

Thanks!

mtndonkey

by mtndonkey » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:52 pm

Trawinski wrote:Morning SPers,

Can anyone tell me if snowshoes are required for approaches to Hidden Valley now? I'll be bringing them up to Bunny Flat, but really don't want to wear them unless I have to.

Thanks!

If you will be starting in the morning, I wouldn't bother with them personally. On the descent they could be a bit useful as the snow down lower becomes mashed potatoes by mid-day, but I wouldn't bother with carrying the extra weight. Last weekend we saw some people with them on the approach mid-day and they were just carrying them.

clmbr

by clmbr » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:37 pm

mtndonkey wrote:
Trawinski wrote:Morning SPers,

Thanks!

If you will be starting in the morning, I wouldn't bother with them personally. On the descent they could be a bit useful as the snow down lower becomes mashed potatoes by mid-day, but I wouldn't bother with carrying the extra weight. Last weekend we saw some people with them on the approach mid-day and they were just carrying them.

This is a good question. I agree with mtndonkey. Even if the snow gets slushy afternoon it would most likely be on the descent which is easier and I would rather posthole a bit then carry the snowshoes. Usually the snow path (footprints) is harder and maybe easier to follow. This weekend, however, may be quite hot. So you may take them to the trailhead and ask people there about the current snow conditions.

I remember taking snowshoes to Hidden Valley only once, putting them on and off because they made me sliding down on steeper sections.

Trawinski

by Trawinski » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:09 pm

Cool, thanks guys. Yeah, they can be a real pain when traversing - thinking of the section from Horse Camp to Hidden Valley. They're also annoying when descending slushy slopes because you kind of start skiing, but not enough to actually help, only enough to make it horribly awkward. I'll bring them just in case, but hopefully they'll stay in the car.

rlshattuck

by rlshattuck » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:38 pm

rlshattuck

by rlshattuck » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:31 am

p.s. yah, pick which one you like better––mashed potato or slurpee . . . the were a few afternnon people almost skiing on their snowshoes, otherwise it was doable in boots and no epic up-to-the-crotch post-holing . . . just a lot of flowery language.

Snowslogger

by Snowslogger » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:26 pm

I brought them last weekend and they were just extra weight on the pack. I'd leave 'em. Went in to Hidden Valley late (around 7pm) and out mid-day.

Trawinski

by Trawinski » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:30 pm

Yeah, that just about does it for me. Skiiing in snowshoes, especially when tired is one of my least favorite things. The Fifth Season this morning is also saying they probably aren't needed. Thanks again!

pjames

by pjames » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:35 am

No snowshoes for me, leaving bunny flat around midnight tomorrow for a July 4th fireworks sunrise high on Shasta.

clmbr

by clmbr » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:53 pm

The conditions on Saturday/Sunday over the 4th of July weekend were perfect. Whitney Glacier looked sooo inviting. I'm going back in a couple of weeks to climb North Fork.

Many people summited. We even had a ranger from Patagonia on the summit.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:02 pm

clmbr wrote:I'm going back in a couple of weeks to climb North Fork.

North Fork?

PreviousNext

Return to California