Sierra Buttes Trailhead/packer lake conditions...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
yosemiteforlife67

Sierra Buttes Trailhead/packer lake conditions...

by yosemiteforlife67 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:43 pm

Hello out there, i just wanted to know if anyone may have been up in the packer lake/sierra city area? I am planning on possibly hiking the sierra buttes trail, which is located in the Packer Lake area, and i understand that the packer lake lodge is due to open on june 24th. I plan on going on this day hike on june 25. Anyone who might have been up there recently or may have hiked this trail...could you possibly give me an idea of what the snow level might be there. The elevation of the top of the lookout is at 8578 i believe, so it is not all that high, but updates on this would be helpful. Also road conditions. thanks.

fedak

Re: Sierra Buttes Trailhead/packer lake conditions...

by fedak » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Haven't been that far north this season, but there's still a ton of snow at 7000ft and above on the west rim of Tahoe/Desolation.

Melting fast tho.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

yosemiteforlife67

by yosemiteforlife67 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:59 am

Yeah, your'e not kidding! i just found that out today. i went hiking out of bayview traihead in emerald bay/lake tahoe, and you can't go too far without trudging through the snow. elevation level, was somewhere around 6500-7000.

Drewid

by Drewid » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:30 am

I live in Sierra City and work in Downieville. The road to Packer Lake Lodge is open but the road is closed just beyond there so an attempt to climb up to the lookout on the Buttes is going to be a long hard slog over deep snow. Bring snow shoes and poles/axe if you got'em. You could hike up the PCT from Sierra City which due to the southern exposure is mostly melted out, but up top you'll still run into deep snow.

BrendanHickey

by BrendanHickey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:25 pm

Any updates on the Packer Lake trail conditions up to the Buttes? It's been about three weeks of warm weather since the last post. Thanks!

Vladislav

by Vladislav » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:28 pm

BrendanHickey wrote:Any updates on the Packer Lake trail conditions up to the Buttes? It's been about three weeks of warm weather since the last post. Thanks!

Still a lot of snow at Long Lake as of 4th of July.

Return to California