First aid kit

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
ashbal

First aid kit

by ashbal » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi,

I am planning on a hike to Mt.Langley and plan to do more 14K feet in future. I am trying to improve my gear that I currently have. One of the items that I dont have is a first aid kit. I recently came across this product : http://www.altrec.com/adventure-medical ... aid-20-kit
Do you guys think this is good enough or should I consider a different one ?

Thanks

Mark M

Re: First aid kit

by Mark M » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:11 pm

Just make your own in a ziplock bag. Keep it simple, you wont be preforming brain surgery on the trail.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:08 pm

About 10 ibupofen, a few tabs of benadryl if you get reactions to anything, a few tabs of generic imodium, some really large, extra-tough bandaids, 1/2" and 1"-wide CLOTH TAPE-- half a roll of each -- and an ace-type bandage. Learn how to tape a sprained ankle. If you bring any blister pads, make sure you have tape to keep them on (the glue will fail once damp, unless taped).

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:40 pm

Only bring medical gear you've actually used before. For most people, that means a roll of gauze and cloth tape, plus a bottle of ibuprofen.

The mountains are not a place to experiment with budding medical skills or pharmaceuticals. Just stop the bleeding, immobilize anything that is broken, and get them to proper help ASAP.

no avatar
ashbal

by ashbal » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:28 am

I never had a first aid kit during my hikes and hence the question. The replies here give me an idea on how to prepare my own.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:06 am

OTC Loperamide ("Immodium") is an anti-diahrreal. I have used it in the wilderness, and it made life a lot more bearable in those times. But some (very few) people have bad reactions to the drug.

4corners

by 4corners » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:45 am

Maybe add a sam splint - I've seen a lot of broken lower limbs, and these weigh very little. Look for a NOLS wilderness 1st aid class as well. A little preparation can't hurt.

no avatar
Scottgo

by Scottgo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:36 am

Having just finished the NOLS Wilderness upgrade for Medical Professionals course they actually recommended against a SAM splint, you can improvise just as good a splint out of stuff you normally have in your bag. Worst case scenario an MSR stove windshield and a some clothes work just as well.

Two other points,
TAKE A COURSE!!! doesn't matter if you have a first aid kit that lets you do brain surgery if you don't know basic first aid. Knowing CPR can be a beneficial for you as your partners, I've been in a situation where we performed CPR for an extended period unsuccessfully on a friend in the bush. One of the important things that helped me psychologically afterwards was that we all knew what to do and had done the best we could. I don't know how I would have dealt if I'd been in that situation knowing that I should be doing something but not knowing what to do.

You shouldn't just have "a first aid kit", mix and match, you need a different kit for a day hike than a week long expedition. Having several ziplock bags let's you taylor your kit to the trip. It also forces you to look at your kit before the trip and see what needs to be replaced.

colinr

by colinr » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:36 am

MoapaPk wrote:About 10 ibupofen, a few tabs of benadryl if you get reactions to anything, a few tabs of generic imodium, some really large, extra-tough bandaids, 1/2" and 1"-wide CLOTH TAPE-- half a roll of each -- and an ace-type bandage. Learn how to tape a sprained ankle. If you bring any blister pads, make sure you have tape to keep them on (the glue will fail once damp, unless taped).

Sounds like what I carry. Not essential, but after having kids I also started carrying A&D ointment. I found that it didn't just help with baby diaper rash, but seemed to help protect, relieve, and heal scratches, small wounds, blisters, and spots that had been rubbed too much.

markhallam

by markhallam » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi - I agree with Scottgo - very important to know what you are doing re First Aid if you are operating in remote mountain areas, so some training definitely an advantage.

In the meantime here is an article I wrote for SP on Expedition Medicine, end of last year. It is really for trips to moderate peaks in the greater ranges, with a lot on high altitude etc - but nonetheless quite a lot of other stuff in there may be useful - anyway, here is the link:

http://www.summitpost.org/expedition-medicine/675753

Cheers,
Mark

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:14 pm

At Langley, he'll probably see lots of folks and even have cell phone coverage part of the way, so preparation won't be much of an issue.

Denjem

by Denjem » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:06 pm

I like to have some strong pain killers just in case I really F%ck myself up. Advil is the goto though. I'm sure you will all have a comment on this, so lets hear it!

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:10 pm

Always moleskin.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Since I get kidney stones regularly, I always have extra hydrocodone that I can put in my 1st aid kit. However, I can say that you really don't want to do much more than hike when you have hydrocodone in your system. I don't like the stuff; yes, it dulls intractable pain, but it also screws with one's ability to make sensible decisions, and muddles balance.

I have moleskin in my first aid kit; but haven't used it much for years. My feet are always heavily calloused. I use blister pads occasionally, but wrap the pads extensively with tape. Tape is your best friend.

Tonka

by Tonka » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:18 am

First aid is on any essential list. My first aid kit over the years hase evolved into a small gear sack that holds a compass, ducktape, medical tape and gauze, mirror, couple feet of cord, matches, small note pad and pencile, and also in the sack, a small plasic box with pills (whatever you need), water tabs, re-hydrate towels, band-aids, anti-bacterial gel, safty pins, cue-tips and moleskin. This kit is enhanced or pared down depending but I pretty much just grab this little sack whenever I head out on a hike. Full it's the size of a moldable beer can. It's very nice that we don't reach into the sack very often but that's because we were prepared to start.

Next

Return to Gear