How you met your Rainier partner(s).

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
CastillejaMiniata

How you met your Rainier partner(s).

by CastillejaMiniata » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:51 pm

I've posted here and at some other sites for Rainier this coming next week and responses have been scanty to say the least. I have a potential partner aside from posting on forums, but where have you met climbing partners in a short amount of time before? Do you think the chances are good I can hook up with someone once I'm already there?

JonW

Re: How you met your Rainier partner(s).

by JonW » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:34 pm

I've seen and heard of individual climbers getting on other private party's rope teams while at Camp Muir. These have been either solo climbers or an individual member of a team who's team members have decided not to go on to the summit. I have not seen a climber message board in Ashford or Paradise. People are more likely to take you on if you appear fit and knowledgeable. Obviously, there's a risk for a team to take on an unknown climber since it might cost them the summit if the climber is not fit enough to make it. I suppose you could hang around Paradise in an attempt to find a team, but I would put your chances of success at pretty low. I think your chances are higher at Camp Muir. I'm not sure how I would react to being approached by a lone climber in the parking lot.

You mentioned you have a partner lined up, are you anxious about climbing in a two-man team? I wouldn't count on finding a solo climber to hop on your rope. If you appear fit and knowledgeable, it's likely you could find another two-man team to travel with to serve as a backup rescue team. The DC is quite crowded and there are usually people around.

no avatar
Kenneth.alone

by Kenneth.alone » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:14 pm

CastillejaMiniata wrote:I've posted here and at some other sites for Rainier this coming next week and responses have been scanty to say the least. I have a potential partner aside from posting on forums, but where have you met climbing partners in a short amount of time before? Do you think the chances are good I can hook up with someone once I'm already there?

PM sent.

no avatar
Skateboards2Scrapers

by Skateboards2Scrapers » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:21 pm

i got off my comp n made friends

i know foreign concept but it werkxs

CastillejaMiniata

by CastillejaMiniata » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:44 am

JonW wrote:I've seen and heard of individual climbers getting on other private party's rope teams while at Camp Muir. These have been either solo climbers or an individual member of a team who's team members have decided not to go on to the summit. I have not seen a climber message board in Ashford or Paradise. People are more likely to take you on if you appear fit and knowledgeable. Obviously, there's a risk for a team to take on an unknown climber since it might cost them the summit if the climber is not fit enough to make it. I suppose you could hang around Paradise in an attempt to find a team, but I would put your chances of success at pretty low. I think your chances are higher at Camp Muir. I'm not sure how I would react to being approached by a lone climber in the parking lot.

You mentioned you have a partner lined up, are you anxious about climbing in a two-man team? I wouldn't count on finding a solo climber to hop on your rope. If you appear fit and knowledgeable, it's likely you could find another two-man team to travel with to serve as a backup rescue team. The DC is quite crowded and there are usually people around.

Thanks.

Regarding the two-person team, there would actually be two other people, only one of whom I know already.

I'm predominantly a solo hiker/climber. Most people aren't hardcore enough for me. (though I'm not a technical, class 5 climber by any means).

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:12 pm

JJJJJJJEEEEEZZZUUS, how many times can this freaking peak be mentioned on the forum? Is there nothing aside from it and Whitney in US?
I met my partners climbing other peaks.

THERE IS PLANS AND PARTNERS SECTION HERE.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:37 pm

How did people get a partner for Mount Washington?

Return to General