Lake Fork to Wheeler?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
Tonka

Lake Fork to Wheeler?

by Tonka » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:22 am

I know it is done but I can't find a lot of info. I would like to make the loop from Williams lake and it seems pretty straight forward.....on a map :lol: Anyone done this?

MoapaPk

Re: Lake Fork to Wheeler?

by MoapaPk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:51 pm

I took that route 14 years ago; the trail was pretty obvious then. I've also come in from the east.

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:10 am

I did the traverse from Lake Fork to Wheeler a few years back. Its pretty straight forward. We started at the Taos Ski Valley and just went along the lifts and then followed the ridge up and over Kachina Peak. From Kachina Peak, you need to head more towards the west face of Lake Fork (its loose talus). From the top of Lake Fork, you have two un-named peaks until you reach Simpson Peak (not really a peak, but its right next to Wheeler). There is a faint trail here and there a few random cairns, but really nothing to right home about as far as I remember. There is a little bit of third class on the finally ridge up Simpson. A few other places might have third class climbing depending upon your route finding abilities. Its a gorgeous traverse with excellent views. Let me know if you have anymore questions

Tonka

by Tonka » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:59 pm

We were staying in Espanola so even with a 5:30 wake up we didn't get to the TH till almost 8:30. And, with me forgetting the fricken map at the hotel we decided to stick with the Bull of the Woods. Storms had been building around 3 P.M. the few days prior and our day was no different but we were off the summit by 1, a little later than planned. Great day.

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)