Wintun Ridge Shasta (Aug. 4)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
kylenicolls

Wintun Ridge Shasta (Aug. 4)

by kylenicolls » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:24 am

I haven't taken this route and it seems that most people haven't. I read that even if it is a dirt hike, the surface is much more firm than Av. Gulch (did that last year).

For those familiar, is this route ever problematic this time of year? Some claimed it to be arguably less dangerous than Av. Gulch, I just want to do a single day'er on the way to Redding; visiting my parents and the sista. Any GPX files?

Just trying to scout ahead of time. Thanks, Kyle.

mrchad9

Re: Wintun Ridge Shasta (Aug. 4)

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:29 am

The surface is very firm, and the route is easy to follow. I had running water in camp, and the ridge was melted out when I went to 11,600. It was like walking on a sidewalk much of the way (some boulders down lower), not loose at all though.

See my comments in the climber's log:
http://www.summitpost.org/wintun-ridge/ ... 745#107745

I'd recommend it... but I don't think you'll get it in by August 4.

kylenicolls

by kylenicolls » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:28 pm

Thanks for the info.

But what do you mean by 'get it in'? I was just planning on doing it that that, I believe it's a Friday. Talking about a GPX file?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:33 pm

kylenicolls wrote:But what do you mean by 'get it in'? I was just planning on doing it that that, I believe it's a Friday.

I assume you are talking about going to Shasta this year. If so, it is already August 17... so the 4th was about two weeks ago, on Thursday. If asking about August 4 in 2012 then I think the question may be just a bit early, and August 4th will be on a Saturday anyway.

kylenicolls

by kylenicolls » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:48 pm

Damn I am dumb. Just occurred to me. I meant September 4th. Didn't remember the day, just knew it was a Friday but now that I look it is the 2nd.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:59 pm

No problem.

Then there will be even less snow... but I'd still recommend it as good option for a daytrip. To descend you can come down the same route, or via Clear Creek which won't have snow but should have some scree runs.

kylenicolls

by kylenicolls » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:32 am

Cool, thanks for the info. Have to say, I am kinda looking forward to a light pack and regular hiking boots rather than the colder weather alternatives.

Appreciate it!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:28 am

Any guess what the Wintun Ridge would be like this September (2012)?

kylenicolls

by kylenicolls » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:12 pm

I did it, but didn't do the ridge. I started at about 2am and knew the trail to follow but not where it cuts away from the Clear Creek trail. So I ended up doing the CC trail by accident. It was rather uneventful. Lots of loose scrambling. I was very glad to have my trekking poles (for the first time, too). It's a gorgeous scenery, no doubt. Its warm, lots of sun, and lots of work. Very, very little shade. There will be very little snow, you can see there is some at the top of the ridge. And last year was apparently a high snowfall year.

I think this is a good guess that it'll be like this. Hope this helps! I cant speak for the WR rock, but the trails came together around probably 12k or so, it sucked. I dont regret it, but I wouldn't do it again.

This is from last year, 09/05/11. The ridge is the east side of this photo.

It's in the center of this photo.

Again shown here. This is where the CC and WR routes typically come together. Through a short C 2-3 section at around 13k-13.5k.

This was my route in the fore-ground. Yep, dont do CC.

The following user would like to thank kylenicolls for this post
MoapaPk

Return to California