Scrambles in Indian Peaks?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Michele

Scrambles in Indian Peaks?

by Michele » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:06 am

I'm looking to scramble up something this Sunday in the Indian Peaks. A ridge would be nice and not too much slogging up boulder fields. If not in the Indian Peaks,then RMNP would be good as well. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your ideas.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Scrambles in Indian Peaks?

by Scott » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:47 am

Lone Eagle Solo Flight is a great scramble.

thebeave7

by thebeave7 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:14 am

North and South Arapaho is a good option. The trail up to South is quick, in good shape, not much slogging. Then the scramble is solid class 3 with a fun mix of slab and ridgeline. Not too difficult, but a fun day.

Eric

Brian C

by Brian C » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Although Lone Eagle is a fabulous summit, it is a killer slog in and out of there. Also there is a pretty amount of boulder hopping until you reach the upper ridge. I agree that the Arapaho traverse is a great day scramble and has a much higher scramble to hike ration. Not sure what class you're looking for but the Little Pawnee - Pawnee traverse is a top notch class 4 scramble but it is harder than the Arapahos.

Michele

by Michele » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Thank you guys, for those great ideas. I've been wanting to do the North - South Arapahoe traverse but the impending thunderstorms have been getting in the way. I'll have a look at Lone Eagle Solo Flight and the Pawnee traverse. And class 4 is fine, it's just those talus slogs that get tedious...but it's worth it if the rest of the scramble offers a good amount of solid rock. Thanks again and let's hope for lightning-free skies this weekend. One can wish, right?

MikeyB

by MikeyB » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:52 am

The North ridge up Neva is a surprisingly fun scramble (class3/4) with good route finding necessary. Not too much scree to reach the ridge, either!

CastillejaMiniata

by CastillejaMiniata » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:14 am

Thanks! I'm not the original poster but I'm moving to Nederland this weekend and am interested in the same things.

brenta

by brenta » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:23 am

Navajo Peak via Niwot Ridge is, in my opinion, the best scramble in the Indian Peaks. Descending Airplane Gully is rather painful, but interesting.

The following user would like to thank brenta for this post
Michele

Michele

by Michele » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Thank you for all those recommendations. I now have a list to tick off!

Return to Colorado