Solo 4-Season/Mountaineering Tent

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
kholodenko

Solo 4-Season/Mountaineering Tent

by kholodenko » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:35 am

Hi Guys,
I'm in the search for a new 4-season tent that I also plan to use as a mountaineering tent on high peaks.
Right now I'm between the Hilleberg Akto, and the Integral Designs MK1 Lite.
Any people with experience with either of these tents care to way in? Pros and cons, etc?

Thanks.

kozman18

Re: Solo 4-Season/Mountaineering Tent

by kozman18 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:24 pm

I know you didn't ask, but you might check out Stephenson tents. Very light and wind-resistant. I've got the two person (under 3 pounds) -- awesome for solo trips/mountaineering. Two poles, easy set-up. A lot of room for your gear in foul weather (or for two people if not solo). http://warmlite.com/warmlite-climbers-two-person-tent

The following user would like to thank kozman18 for this post
Marcsoltan

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:26 am

They're two quite different tents for actual climbing. The Akto requires guying out, not easy to do on a narrow ridge or ledge. The freestanding ID Mk1 will have a smaller useable footprint.

The Akto is a hooped almost-tunnel tent that is good end-on into the wind, like all Hillebergs, but maybe not so strong for a heavy snow load from above - the ID or a geodesic will be better for that. So it depends where you're going and what you're doing.

I haven't checked the specs but the Akto is probably longer internally than the ID?

The following user would like to thank Damien Gildea for this post
kholodenko, Kiefer

no avatar
kholodenko

by kholodenko » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:30 am

Thanks Damien, I did not know the different specs on that.
I am over 6 feet so maybe a tent that is longer internally is a better call for me.
However, a lot of the terrain I plan on covering may require a freestanding tent, as you point out.
I assume though, that both tents are very good at what they do?

radson

by radson » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:23 am

Did you check out the Hilleberg Soulo and Unna as well?

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:22 pm

Traditionally the ID would be more of a mountaineering tent and the Akto more of a polar and travel tent, but either could go either way. They are both good tents with years of proven quality.

The ID is obviously bigger and can take two people, but is probably 600g heavier. I was talking to a Hilleberg dealer last week and he showed me samples of the Hilleberg fly material compared to regular ripstop nylon. The Hilleberg material is noticeably thicker and much stronger - you could actually tear the ripstop, but not the Hilleberg material.

Personally I'd be more thinking that one is a double wall tent - ie. warmer, less condensation - and the other is single-wall, but the single material is quite thick. I think I'd like the Unna more than the Akto. The Akto could handle light snow OK, but not heavier snowfall - too bigger flat surface area with no pole.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:49 pm

I hate to say the nasty word "Black Diamond" but the originator was Todd Bibler and this tent has in fact been the go to standard for well over 30 something years:
The "I-TENT"

adventurer

by adventurer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:38 pm

I've spent many cold & stormy nights in my Mountain Hardwear EV 2. It's technically a 2 person tent but I've come to appreciate the bit of extra room when I'm solo. Never a problem in high winds or heavy snowfall. Condensation can be almost eliminated by proper use of the vents. It's a bit pricey but you'll never need another tent.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/EV%E2%8 ... lt,pd.html
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:06 pm

I have the ID tent, very similar to the Bibler I tent, but I believe a wee bit lighter. In strong wind you have to guy it even if just with large rocks. I did have the poles break once when I left it up for a day in the wind while I was gone climbing. The broken poles tore the tent in a couple places, but ID fixed it.
The tent has good room for a 6' guy but for two would be tight. It is a nice solo tent since you can get all of your gear inside, and sleep diagonally in it so there is room. Packs up small and is a very reasonable weight for such a bomber tent. I've been very happy with it.

philso

by philso » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:40 pm

hi,
if you'll be using it in the winter and/or above treeline, i would personally pass on the akto. although it's billed as a 4-season/mountaineering tent, i think you have to take that with a grain of salt. even a $50 wenzel can be used in the mountains and in the winter. the question is will it hold up to the weather.
the hilleberg site states "it was not designed for extreme above tree line use". the shortcomings that i see compared to the mk1lite are these: 1) i'd worry about its ability to stand up to a load of snow. only 1 ridgepole, while the tent has rather flattish ends that won't be dumping snow that easily. 2) end needs to be pitched into the wind, but usually you can't be so choosey above treeline. 3) the ridgepole is pitched across the width of the tent. it'll take a lot more real estate to pitch, a minimum of width of 66" compared to the 46" of the mk1 lite, yet has about 10sq. feet less floor space. 4) one good fact is that it has about 8 1/2 sq.' of vestibule area. however, only 1 side of it can be rolled up. the other side can be used as a windscreen for cooking only if that side can be pitched into the wind. also, side entry tents' vestibules (i have 2) don't create all the usable space that the largish number might suggest. for storing all that extra winter gear and also cook in, you'll probably end up wanting a hooped vestibule.

the mk1 lite's drawback is the lack of vestibule. however, despite the manufacturer's warnings, lots of people with cannister stoves cook inside tents (carefully & with doors cracked for ventilation). i wouldn't want to try with a white gas stove, though. as far as standing up to the elements, the mk1 is a tried and true workhorse. similar tents like the i tent and eldorado have vestibutles and are also tried & true veterans.

The following user would like to thank philso for this post
TimB

mcorbs28

by mcorbs28 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:49 pm

adventurer wrote:I've spent many cold & stormy nights in my Mountain Hardwear EV 2. It's technically a 2 person tent but I've come to appreciate the bit of extra room when I'm solo. Never a problem in high winds or heavy snowfall. Condensation can be almost eliminated by proper use of the vents. It's a bit pricey but you'll never need another tent.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/EV%E2%8 ... lt,pd.html

I agree, I love my MH EV2, 4-seasons may not be accurate for this tent because you will not want to use it in the summer heat :D

Kai

by Kai » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:42 am

Rab summit extreme is a terrific 1-2 person tent. Event fabric is very breathable, and it's truly bombproof.

http://rab.uk.com/products/equipment/bi ... -bivi.html

http://www.campsaver.com/summit-superli ... n-4-season

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Can anyone comment on these 2 tents? They aren't 4 season but I didn't want to start another "tent thread", although the Sierra Designs is listed as a 3/4. I won't be doing a lot of winter stuff or at real high elevations so I believe these 2 tents would work for a light pack tent in the price range I'm looking for. Or a tent that similiar to these that would be a better option? Thanks

http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-288-vapor-light-1.aspx

http://bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/SeedhouseSL1

Luc

by Luc » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:04 pm

kholodenko wrote:I am over 6 feet so maybe a tent that is longer internally is a better call for me.

I-Tent: 6'-10" long
Eldorado: 7'-3" long

MK1 Lite: 6'-10" long
MK1 XL: 7'-2" long

Summit Superlite Bivi: 7'-3" long
Summit Mountain Bivi: 7'-3" long

If you're heading into cold weather, you don't want your feet or head jammed against the tent's walls. if you can try them out in a store using your own sleeping bag (with your boots and water inside it).

no avatar
squidman

by squidman » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:19 pm

Quite a bit heavier than the other tents, but I picked up a MH Spire2 (no longer in production, but still sold some places), around the 2kg mark, too small for 2 people, but perfect for 1 for winter camping. Bigger footprint than the others tho'. However, good ventilation, double-walled, and stable. No idea why Mountain Hardwear dropped it, it's perfect for winter solo-trips with e.g. pulk (especially compared with my TNF mountain 25! beast of a tent).

Next

Return to Gear