Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Hike suggestions please

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.

Hike suggestions please

Postby JoshWood » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:28 am

I'm looking to take a trip with my dog and I want to summit something and camp near water. My dog is a 90lb lab and can handle almost any terrain. I've been on trails before and people I have said " hope your dog likes rock climbing." As it turns out, he does. In addition, I hate to get really sweaty without a quick swim. So, I would like to summit a mountain in New York, Vermont, Mass or New Hampshire and relax for a day near a lake, pond or river.

If anybody has a suggestion, I would love to hear it.
JoshWood

Re: Hike suggestions please

Postby nartreb » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Most of New York and New England would fit those criteria. I think the limiting factor is finding a campsite where your dog will be welcome.

If I were based in Oneonta, I'd start looking at a map of the Adirondacks. ( The Berkshires just aren't very impressive. The Catskills either, though they have some challenging trails if you're into tree roots. ) You're about three hours from Keene, gateway to the Great Range. (Note: no dogs on Ausable Club land.)
nartreb

Postby JoshWood » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I found a pond in the ADK called Duck Hole. After looking it up online, I think that this is where I'll go. Looks like it is pretty secluded so nobody should give me a hard time about the dog.
JoshWood

Postby nartreb » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Duck Hole is no longer a viable swimming spot, though the ponds upstream (Preston Ponds) look OK.

http://adirondackexplorer.org/out-takes ... -draining/
nartreb

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
JoshWood

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)