Petzl "Modular" Lynx

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
The Chief

Petzl "Modular" Lynx

by The Chief » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:18 pm

New pons out that end the need for multi inventory. I am surprised that other Manu's did not think of this a long ass time ago. Something to consider for the new kid on the block as they grow in their abilities and expand their horizons.

Njoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikrD1C9TPIE[/youtube]

asmrz

Re: Petzl "Modular" Lynx

by asmrz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:12 pm

This looks good. A true step forward. Hopefully the extra bail is strong enough for big boots and easy enough to install on the crampons. In 1992/1993 Kong Bonatti played with replaceable bail design, the material for the bail was too soft and the boot would rotate out of the bail. The crampons were recalled and the idea died till now.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:16 pm

They look nice. Seems more durable than BD cyborgs...would be nice to try them on to see how they do with staying on.

Luc

by Luc » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Saw them in a link a while ago this summer, it's a good idea.
I bugged Petzl a long time ago for replaceable / exchangeable bail / levers.
They refused to ship replacement parts due to liability reasons, I've got a couple sets of crampons and wouldn't mind getting the new levers and being able to swap new-matic/wire bails depending on the boots I'm using.

I think they're forged steel points too!

Luc

by Luc » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:04 pm

got the reply from Petzl:

PETZL wrote:We don't communicate on the precise materials used to manufacture our products.

What we can tell you is that :

- front points are made of lost wax process

- the crampons are made of high perfomrance steel.

investment cast front points, weaker than forged...

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:32 pm

Luc wrote:
investment cast front points, weaker than forged...

Does that mean they wear quicker or are more prone to snapping off when climbing on rock?

Luc

by Luc » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:06 pm

Exactly, I'm not a metalurgist, but one of the main advantages of forging is the alignment of the grain within the part.

This strengthens the part, sort of like creating a hard shell that distributes the load, making it tougher and stronger.
http://www.esi-group.com/products/casting/Etips/e-tips/eTip16.pdf

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:21 pm

Luc

by Luc » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:55 pm

PETZL wrote:- front points are made of lost wax process

Lost wax = investment cast.
Daniel didn't get the full truth from PETZL I guess.
I finaly got an answer from PETZL on their website on the 4th. I had been waiting since mid october for an answer, maybe they didn't know what they were going to make them out of yet.

etai101

by etai101 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:37 pm

im sold
once my g 12s go probably in this winter season
thx

Dane1

by Dane1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:20 am

Luc wrote:I'm not a metalurgist, but one of the main advantages of forging is the alignment of the grain within the part.

thank god you aren't a metalugist. As the Lynx front points are forged from a front point first made to a similar shape in the lost wax process.

Doesn't taka rocket scientist to figure this out. Just a close inspection of each crampon will tell you the facts.

Fact Dartwin: Forged front point is toothed for precise placements then welded on the frame
Fact Dart: Forged front point is toothed for precise placements then welded on the frame
Fact Lynx: Forged front point is toothed for precise placements then bolted on the frame

Hint here should have been "We don't communicate on the precise materials "used or how we manufacture" our products." Stupid of them to do so in public.

Since BD and Grivel copies Petzl s quicky on every design innovation I can understand their reluctance.

Last edited by Dane1 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:51 am

Dane1 wrote:Since BD and Grivel copies Petzl s quicky on every design innovation I can understand their reluctance.

Dane,

Didn't Grivel pioneer the use of 3-D type front points in the original Rambo crampons?

Luc

by Luc » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:04 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:Didn't Grivel pioneer the use of 3-D type front points in the original Rambo crampons?

I think so, (in 1993) before that, most technical crampons had vertical machined/stamped front points without the 3D profile that prevents them from 'tracking' down softer ice.

The Footfangs had the infamous rope cutter on the front, between the front points, that served as an adze in softer medium. The lesser technical crampon was the Charlet Black-ice, it was the classic front-pointing 12 point with aggressive secondary points. the BD Switchblade used to track down softer ice if you didn't contact the secondary points just right.

The Charlet M10 came out after the Rambo's if I recall.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:48 pm

I actually traded up to Rambos from Lowe Lightfangs sometime during the last century. The performance boost felt like going from a drooped to reverse curve pick on ice tools.

Return to Gear