gear left in icebox canyon

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
mattyj

gear left in icebox canyon

by mattyj » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Unfortunately I managed to snag a rope while pulling for the last rappel on the north pass route into icebox canyon. I suppose in an ideal world I would have prusiked back up to free it, but given the remoteness of the area, uncertainty about how/where it was stuck and limited self-rescue skills of my partner, I decided the prudent choice was to cut the snagged rope (we needed it for lower in the canyon) and fix the other strand at the final rap station for a single-rope rappel.

There's now a good condition 60m 8.5mm half rope hanging from the anchor, and 2/3 of another one above if anyone makes it out before the elements gets to them. As I feel bad about leaving this stuff in the wild, I'm also willing to send beer money to anyone who schleps it out while doing the canyon - just send me a PM or email.

R2 (the short one) has no hanger, just a bolt with a dyneema sling tied loosely to it. I'd recommend bringing a spare dyneema sling (1/2" webbing is probably too wide to fit over the bolt) and tying it off in a slipknot or girth hitch, since the one that's there just lifts right off if you bump it.

Return to Utah