Sierra ice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
The Chief

Re: Sierra ice

by The Chief » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:34 am

That is the seasonal summer snowfield which after a couple of good TSers, hardens up this time of year as pictured above. The normal "Summer" ascent/descent route for the MR is as described above via the buttress on skiers left then by wandering under the seasonal snow/ice field then following the clean slabs, skiers right, again partially pictured above.

Thanks for posting.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Seems like ice season will not happen. 1-2 feet of snow predicted this week.

RIP ICE SEASON

tadman

by tadman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:58 am

Well...It does look like our trip for the 10th to North has morphed into a little fun in the sun at Josh. Living in California is unreal! (I suppose that could be taken in a bunch of different ways)
The morning of the 10th, I will leave the fire station, Go for a quick bike ride along the beach with the kids. Load up the truck and be on my first climb by mid afternoon.
Not a bad plan B
Tad

The following user would like to thank tadman for this post
Vitaliy M.

no avatar
bergbryce

by bergbryce » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:10 am

So no word on North Pk conditions it appears.
I've got a couple days next week, guess it will be something else. There looks to be a LOT of snow in that picture.

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 pm

Dang! You got me all excited that maybe there was some news. I'll be on the East Side this weekend, so hopefully I can stop by South Lake and do some recon with my long telephoto lens. Or could any locals do us a favor? :-)

no avatar
webenji

by webenji » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:13 am

Can't say that I have good beta on the conditions, but I was hiking in the Saddlebag area last week-end (October 15th) and have some far away shots of North Peak. I did not bring the crampons and ice tools (and regretted it). The snow at 10000-10500 feet was styrofoam-like, getting quite soft as the day went on. I cannot really comment on the conditions close to the couloirs since I was quite far away, although it looked like styrofoam-snow with some small icy sections (at the beginning of the couloirs). Here are some pictures, although I don't know how much they would help.
South-Facing Slopes:
North-Facing Slopes:

The following user would like to thank webenji for this post
BMcC, clmbr

BMcC

by BMcC » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Webenji - nice pics - thanks for posting them and your comments!

clmbr

by clmbr » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:32 pm

webenji wrote:Can't say that I have good beta on the conditions...

Well, it does not help much but I can assume no blue ice formed. The close up on the bergshrund would provide more info. Hey, but we are waiting for anything, so thanks for your input and pictures. My favorite is the second one (nice angle, framing and exposure). There is more snow coverage in the basin than three weeks ago.

BMcC

by BMcC » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:02 pm

Hiked the middle gully on N Peak yesterday. Some soft snow, quite a bit of wonderful neve, and some horribly rotten, precariously piled, loose rock (lots and lots) on sloping ledges and at the crux chockstone (easy chimney move and stemming under and behind it). Trailed a rope and had some gear with me (ballast), but only used about 20' of the rope to pull my pack up after the crux. Knocked no rock off, but was glad nonetheless that no one was below me. Seriously precarious looking chockstone and abundant debris. Seemed sort of alpine.

Left and right gullies appeared to have much of the soft snow and neve that I found in the middle couloir. More soft snow and not as much neve as last year:
http://www.supertopo.com/tr/Tis-the-season-back-to-North-Peak-left-and-right-couloirs-9-8-10/t10762n.html

The following user would like to thank BMcC for this post
Vitaliy M.

BMcC

by BMcC » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:03 pm

p.s. No blue ice.

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:13 pm

Thompson Couloirs as of Sunday. :'-(

The following user would like to thank PellucidWombat for this post
BMcC

BMcC

by BMcC » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks, PWombat -- the Thompson Couloirs look somewhat snowy rather than icy ...

BMcC

by BMcC » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:52 pm

Posted some North Peak pics over here:

http://www.supertopo.com/tripreport/tri ... leid=11240

Previous

Return to California