First AT setup questions-

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Damien Gildea

Re: First AT setup questions-

by Damien Gildea » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:47 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:
Autoxfil wrote:
ExcitableBoy wrote:
bdynkin wrote:And to re-iterate what Autoxfill stated in his very informative post: only Silvretta 404 and 500 series bindings can be used with climbing boots.

That is not entirely correct. Older Silveretta binders (I have 400), Ramers, and a few other binders made specifically for approaching can be used with climbing boots.

Yes, note that I said "only releasable bindings currently produced".

Apologies, that is an important distinction to make. I just read the exerpt.

I think to help clear things up for the OP:
- Silvretta Pure can be used with many climbing boots - if they have a good toe and heel lip - but they won't lateral-release climbing boots, so it's a safety issue more so than 'compatibility'. Whereas when you fall in 500 (wire toe bail) they release your boot sideways at the heel. I have used both Pure and 500 and 555 on various climbing boots. Pures are light for a traditional-style AT binding but early (red toe) models had breakage problems.
- Fritschi Diamirs fit some climbing boots, but not all. They are popular, but heavy for mainly approaches and easy skiing and have the release/safety issue as above.
- In some of these bindings the toe lip may fit but the heel may not, if the boot sole is too thick/high at the back.
- Dynafit are much lighter but you need compatible boots, that have the holes for the pins. ie. not climbing boots.
- Learning to ski anywhere off-piste is not recommended, and certainly not in climbing boots. Learn to ski, with lessons, in hired DH gear, then try hired AT gear, then decide what you want to do.

The following user would like to thank Damien Gildea for this post
spiritualspatula

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:14 pm

Damien Gildea wrote:Learning to ski anywhere off-piste is not recommended, and certainly not in climbing boots. Learn to ski, with lessons, in hired DH gear, then try hired AT gear, then decide what you want to do.

Don't know a whole lot about AT, but I definitely second that thought. Bdynkin might say that he's not much of a skier, but the fact is that he's been doing it (albeit very infrequently) for 20-plus years on regular downhill setup. That is completely different from someone who has never skied before! At the very least, you want to be able to get to the point where you are able to make quick turns, stop, etc., be comfortable on a variety of terrain (including ice, powder, moguls), and do all this with minimal falling. Learning all this in the backcountry, on an AT setup, and in climbing boots would be like driving for the first time ever in the middle of Manhattan. I understand that resort skiing is expensive, etc., but so is AT gear, and if you try doing it without having any knowledge of how to ski in general, you have a good chance of either injuring yourself or destroying your gear, or both - all of which will end up costing a lot more than a few tickets at the local ski hill and some rental gear.

The following user would like to thank AlexeyD for this post
spiritualspatula

RickF

by RickF » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:10 am

Spatula,

You mention that you've been boarding. If you're already comfortable and skilled manuvering a board you might want to consider the split board option. If you haven't seen or heard about them, Split boards are snow baords that separate down the middle lengthwise and get fitted with climbing skins for ascending. Then with the skins removed, they're re-joined for the descent. That way you can immediately crossover and apply your boarding experence in the backcountry. and you don't need as stiff of a boot for boarding. If you decide to go with A/T skis I agree with the other posters who have recommended getting lots of laps at a resort on DH or A/T before taking skis into the backcountry.

The following user would like to thank RickF for this post
spiritualspatula

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:30 pm

From research it seems to me that split boards are far from being as good as AT set ups in the BC. Wish it was the other way around. I snow board and am going to try to switch to skis this year. Hearing about all the ski gear is like hearing a new language...sucks to start over.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:28 pm

Which boots are good for AT skiing that would be not too heavy and can be used for climbing on rock/ice in crampons? They do not have to be the most expensive ones, just something that works...several choices if possible

no avatar
spiritualspatula

by spiritualspatula » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:49 am

Damien Gildea wrote:I think to help clear things up for the OP:
- Silvretta Pure can be used with many climbing boots - if they have a good toe and heel lip - but they won't lateral-release climbing boots, so it's a safety issue more so than 'compatibility'. Whereas when you fall in 500 (wire toe bail) they release your boot sideways at the heel. I have used both Pure and 500 and 555 on various climbing boots. Pures are light for a traditional-style AT binding but early (red toe) models had breakage problems.
- Fritschi Diamirs fit some climbing boots, but not all. They are popular, but heavy for mainly approaches and easy skiing and have the release/safety issue as above.
- In some of these bindings the toe lip may fit but the heel may not, if the boot sole is too thick/high at the back.
- Dynafit are much lighter but you need compatible boots, that have the holes for the pins. ie. not climbing boots.
- Learning to ski anywhere off-piste is not recommended, and certainly not in climbing boots. Learn to ski, with lessons, in hired DH gear, then try hired AT gear, then decide what you want to do.

Yeah, I didn't quite explain things initially- Where I'm at, and why I am looking into all this right off, is that while I have ready access to a resort, and intend to use that to learn, I also have ample access to stuff to mess around with that's pretty rolling terrain, and that stuff is literally where I'll be spending half my weekends of every month. Basically, I know learning at a resort is what to do, but, since I'll be spending time at a place like that anyway, it seemed like getting some experience there would be good too and might be economic to buy gear as a result. That, and I am looking at it more long term and sorta getting an idea of things. My thoughts were that I could cut my teeth on the resorts and screw around on the flats... figured it couldn't really hurt anything.

I do know about splitboarding, and though I've got experience in that, I think for the time being AT is more refined and efficient, and there's an equal likelihood that I'll use the setup for touring. Splitboarding is admittedly tempting, though.
I'm thinking I should go with AT boots. I don't do anything super tech/crazy in the mountains, so I'm assuming they should work well enough for me. My main reason for seeing if I could avoid a set is keeping the gear closet in check. Vitaliy- there were some listed further up in the discussion if you look, there were some full setups thrown out there.
Thanks for the help folks, you've been a big help sorta directing me towards things because I was super clueless about gear.
Do you have any guidelines/explanation on lean angle and features like "Walk mode lever offers 20° of resistance-free motion for climbs"?

Previous

Return to Gear