What do you think about Mt. Tom this weekend?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Quadaxial

What do you think about Mt. Tom this weekend?

by Quadaxial » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:12 am

Hi all,

I was thinking of hiking Mt. Tom this weekend. I've never been there before. Looks like the coming storms may put the kibosh on that, but maybe not and maybe it'll make things more interesting.

For those that are familiar with the area, what do you think 6-12 inches of snow will do for the hike? I'm looking at the route from Horton Lakes-Tungstar Mine. I'll bring my snow shoes (and axe and crampons) just in case. Too dicey? Too difficult to route find? What do you think?

Also, any good areas near the summit to bivy? I've yet to bivy at a major Sierra summit, so if I do make it and conditions look good (weather looks clear for the weekend), I might make a night out of it.

Any perspective is appreciated,
Jason

Princess Buttercup

Re: What do you think about Mt. Tom this weekend?

by Princess Buttercup » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:25 am

Jason: time will tell, conditions may vary, and only go as far as you really feel comfortable.

That being said... ;)

The road up from Hortan Lakes is a good, broad one, and this being the first real snow of the season (potentially), I wouldn't think you'll have much of a problem. Once you reach the mine, the road continues a little ways further up the east ridge, but then it's fairly easy scrambling (watch for loose rock) to the summit. I wouldn't say there's much in the way of bivy spots up there, though.

I've been wondering what the aspen are doing in that canyon! My poor Honda Element can't make the drive out the trailhead any longer, definitely for high-clearance vehicles.

I have pics of the Horton Lakes approach (at least to the lake) here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics6 ... 067174026/

And the ridge photos from when I climbed Mt. Tom are in here (starting about 1/3 of the way into the set. I approached from Pine Creek):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics6 ... 858918453/

Have fun!

-L
Last edited by Princess Buttercup on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quadaxial

by Quadaxial » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:45 am

Hey hey Moose! I remember you from the Sierra Challenge last year (my girlfriend Niki and I piddled around on the last day on the Mt Morgensen hike). Thanks for getting back to me.

I'll have a 4wd Jeep Rubicon with me, so no worries on the drive in.

Thanks for the pics and info! That first pic on the second page of your Horton Lake Wanderings album, that's Tom right? Is the route basically a slog up those scree/talus slopes on the left?

Crossing my fingers for good conditions and weekend...

Hope you're having a great year in the mountains!

Jason

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:10 am

Hey, Jason! Sure I remember you two. That was a great day!

It's not super clear, but you can see the lines of the road switchbacking up the face here:

Once you reach the mine at the top of that wall, the road continues for just a little further:

From there it's just a scree walk, some easy scrambling along the ridge.

If its not taken (there are a lot of hunters out there this time of year), there is a really nice campsite about 1/2 mile below the actual trailhead, by a creek with aspen.

Enjoy!

-Laura

bobpickering

by bobpickering » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Laura's second photo shows the old road just above the center of the photo. My partner and I set up a comfortable bivy on that road near the left edge of the photo. That was January 1994.

no avatar
Skateboards2Scrapers

by Skateboards2Scrapers » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:04 am

it looks low angle, however, i feel that the use of an inclinometer is justified relative to this particular case.

:)

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:18 am

Better take a rope, just to be sure. ;)

Gafoto

by Gafoto » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:34 am

The entire area above 8k is completely blanketed in snow. No guarantees about what it'll look like this weekend but it would probably be worth the slippery slog just to get the views.

Quadaxial

by Quadaxial » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:09 am

Thanks for the photos. Through tomorrow and Friday, if anyone has any general pictures or report on the area with respect to the snow, post a reply and I'd really appreciate it.

This actually entices me a bit more. Perhaps I'll go for it! Doesn't seem like enough snow will have fallen or stuck that will necessitate snow shoes or crampons though, ya think?

Return to California