The stupid things I did before I knew better...

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Hotoven

by Hotoven » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:18 pm

tigerlilly wrote:I went winter camping once with a group from the MIT outing club. One of the guys brought a 6" wheel of Brie cheese for him to eat and nothing else. It got down to minus 20 that night. It was so cold, the guy decided to sleep with it in his sleeping bag. Didn't help! Next morning it was hard as concrete. To his credit, he TRIED to eat it. We felt sorry for him and shared our oatmeal and hot chocolate with him.

:-)

Now just replace the word "One of the guys" with "I". And that would be more accurate. haha :D

jordansahls

Re: The stupid things I did before I knew better...

by jordansahls » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:11 am

I was lucky enough to learn basic hiking, mountaineering, and climbing from my father who was expirienced which put me just a little ahead of the curve (at least initially). Still, Like all young punks I thought I was invincable. I headed out in less than ideal conditions to climb the North Face of Shuksan and was nearly sweapt to my death by an avalanche. Man, was that stupid.

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:54 am

1. Well, first I joined this:

2. Then I went with them on a mid-day weekend trip to this:

3 because it was built by this:

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:55 am

I regularly carried a hammer in case my bat broke. I figured it would be more fun than using my bare hands.

no avatar
JJBrunner

by JJBrunner » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:29 am

I have way to many things that come to mind...Can't bring myself to type them up. Great thread idea though! Fortunately now, for the most part, I know better!

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:38 am

Not bringing DEET or ??? to the Desolation Wilderness in late July. I learned that if walk real fast/run, the squitos don't keep up with you.

CClaude

Re:

by CClaude » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:13 pm

tigerlilly wrote:My husband once climbed Gannett Peak with a license plate strapped to his backpack.

He also likes to carry large cans of Dinty Moore beef stew. Once, he forgot to bring the can opener.

I hiked Mt.Washington in NH, in February, wearing a tennis warm up suit. (pink).

:-D

Years ago I went to do a technical route in the Cascades, but we got onto the mountain and the night we were going to climb it was a total tropics so we just decided to bag the summit via the normal route. Good thing since I stashed a car jack in my partners pack. Man was he hurting when we got back to the trailhead. I even felt bad, even though I laughed my #$$ off when he found it in the bottom. Hey, you never know when you are going to need one.
Last edited by CClaude on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank CClaude for this post
Paul1

bluffview

by bluffview » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:14 pm

Sylvania Wilderness, first weekend in August=hot. 3 liters of water for 2 people. Lake(s) full of water but no stove or pot to boil over a fire. Sat on the shore in the evening watching some guys fishing and swore we could see them drinking beer even though they weren't supposed to have aluminum cans. Didn't risk drinking straight from the lake because I've seen it with a green layer on it from some kind of algae bloom. Got back to the boat landing Sunday morning where there was a well, drank close to a gallon. My next camping purchase was a water filter.

no avatar
fredzurensick

Re:

by fredzurensick » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:56 pm

Marmaduke wrote:I hiked Mount Hood with a backapck filled with 6 Coronas (bottles), 6 cans of Coors, 2 bottles of wine, 6 cans of soda, 4 botlles of water, one pound of salami, one pound of cheese and 7 pounds of ice to keep it all chilled. Why did I bring the water and the sodas?

Just out of curiousity, were you solo that day? :lol:

MBFN

by MBFN » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:52 pm

My firts real mountaineering trip was Mt. Olympus in the Olympic mountains. I climbed with my brother and one of his friends. We were smart enough to pick up axes and crampons but really didn't think about clothes. We summited in shorts and t-shirts and I didn't even have a jacket or a beenie with me. We all got nice looking burns on our legs between the gaters and our shorts which we later referred to as barber poll burns.

Vitaliy M.

Re: Re:

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:35 pm

fredzurensick wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:I hiked Mount Hood with a backapck filled with 6 Coronas (bottles), 6 cans of Coors, 2 bottles of wine, 6 cans of soda, 4 botlles of water, one pound of salami, one pound of cheese and 7 pounds of ice to keep it all chilled. Why did I bring the water and the sodas?

He was on Mt. Hood in Bay Area, not in Oregon. Which is not dumb at all to bring that. When I go on local hills I bring healthy fresh food. WTF is the point of eating GU on a little hike! When I do our bay area peaks I pack 5-6 gallons of water up, for training, NOT because I need it.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:43 pm

fredzurensick wrote:

No, I had my dog and my 16 year old son. :wink:

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:01 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:
fredzurensick wrote:

He was on Mt. Hood in Bay Area, not in Oregon. Which is not dumb at all to bring that. When I go on local hills I bring healthy fresh food. WTF is the point of eating GU on a little hike! When I do our bay area peaks I pack 5-6 gallons of water up, for training, NOT because I need it.

I like the way you think Vitaliy, a 12 pack of beer and 2 bottles of wine is "healthy fresh food".

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:14 pm

Yes, better than GU

aran

by aran » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:13 pm

Twoshuzz... yikes!

In high school I went climbing in the Valley in late winter, packed up all our gear, food, everything and when we got there I realized I hadn't brought any shoes other than my rock shoes. :( I had hoped in the car in wool socks and that's all I had. I strapped plastic bags to my feet and my buddy had to carry me through the heavier snow and place me on the rock. From there we were golden!

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander