AT Set-up for Newbie

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
RickF

by RickF » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:51 am

thexcat,

I'll give my endorsement for the Dynafit Vertical TLT's.

I'd been resort skiing for over 30 years. Last winter I was my first season on my new A/T equipment. While I was researching what to buy, I was leaning toward the Marker Dukes becuase of their reputation of being the most burly A/T binding and being able to take the abuse of hard downhill skiing. But since I wasn't going to be hucking any cliffs, I decided the advantage of lighter weight was more inportant than having uber-burliness. The Dynafit system makes so much sense because the rigid sole of the boot acts as the plate giving the Dynafit a huge weight saving advantage over the other A/T bindings. The Dynafits are about half the weight of the Markers. I think the weight of the Fritchis is somewhere in between. Another advantage of the Dynafit is that since there'e no base plate, the boot and your foot are positioned closer the ski, with a lower center of gravity and closer to the axis of rotation for initiating turns.

After taking a couple of hard falls skiing down Shasta last year I have no doubt about the performance of the Dynafit release function.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:55 am

Ya'll are always welcome at out hooche anytime Deb.

Glad that you like your rig. Practice getting into, transitioning into Skin Mode and then back to ski mode then getting out as often as ya can on that Living Room floor. The more the better when ya hit the hills.

Climber Dave

by Climber Dave » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:21 am

I'm pretty much in the same boat Deb (was ) in I want to get some BC skies but have no clue. Looking for something that would get me into the backcountry (eastern sierra) and also for some day stuff locally and places like Onion Valley and Rock Creek etc..

All the previous posts have been quite helpful, was sure I wanted an AT set up not just make up my mind on what

Just curious if anybody knows when the MMS sale ends (if it hasnt already)

And I had heard that they have a demo day any idea when that might be?? .
Last edited by Climber Dave on Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:38 am

Ramblindave wrote:Just curious if anybody knows when the MMS sale ends (if it hasnt already)

And recall Anybody know about when that happens.

Mid December.

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:57 pm

The Chief wrote:Ya'll are always welcome at out hooche anytime Deb.

Glad that you like your rig. Practice getting into, transitioning into Skin Mode and then back to ski mode then getting out as often as ya can on that Living Room floor. The more the better when ya hit the hills.

Good advice, there. Wish I'd done that before heading out. . . :roll:

Deb

by Deb » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:28 pm

I went for light-weight and compatibility since I am a small person. My activities will be 50/50 with BC and resort. I am amazed at how comfortable the boots are! Kudos to Bill at MMS for spending so much time with me and educating me as well. And honestly, cost was not even a factor - all about comfort.
Now I wait for more snow............
:?

Blair

by Blair » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:48 am

anybody ever use the Dynastar Legend Naxo 11?

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:29 am

The Dynastar Legend 11 looks like it might be the first generation Naxo NX01 binding. The newer version, the NX21 is beefed up and supposedly handles much better.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:59 am

Blair wrote:anybody ever use the Dynastar Legend Naxo 11?

MY Wife has them on her Dynastar Alti-Rides and loves em.

If you are a moderate Int-Expert skier that doesn't seek big air and hucks bunches, they are a great deal for skinning and having some BC Moderate fun.

TacoJockey

by TacoJockey » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:50 am

Blair wrote:anybody ever use the Dynastar Legend Naxo 11?

I just had a pair mounted on some BD verdicts. I can let you know how I like them in a couple weeks when I get out. (I'm currently stuck in the southeast visiting family. No skiing. Grrrrr) Found them brand new for cheap; from my understanding they're rebranded NX11's. They look like they'll be fun for mellow descents in the BC but I won't use them inbounds apart from maybe a few hours to get used to the feel.

Vitaliy M.

Re: AT Set-up for Newbie

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Does Deb still like her set up? What would you change if you did it all over again?

Deb

Re: AT Set-up for Newbie

by Deb » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:Does Deb still like her set up? What would you change if you did it all over again?

Hmmmmmm...tough question. I messaged you a little info. I have the DYANFIT TLT VERTICAL ST 92MM bindings on 7Summits 163s and kicking Zzeros. LOOOVE the boots! The bindings have destroyed me in knee-deep powder - very difficult to get into after pulling skins. And they collect ice crystals and freeze, which made it nearly impossible to get out of without a jeweler's screw driver. Skis are 78cm underfoot, which also sucks for powder but they clip icy slopes like nobody's business. Superlight rig for BC, I can not complain a bit.
So, it's a give and take relationship with them. I've skied 8 months a year for 2 years with them and have finally decided to go for a wider ski Black Diamond Element with Fritschi Eagles.
Have fun making your decision with all the snow on the horizon! :D

Previous

Return to Gear