orizaba dec 2011

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
mcorbs28

orizaba dec 2011

by mcorbs28 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:15 am

Hey I'm heading up Orizaba in late December with the goal of making the summit on Christmas day. I am wondering what the cheapest/best way to get to the Piedra Grande hut from Tlachichuca would be. I've know walking from Tlachichuca is supposed to be great but unfortunately I don't have the time on this trip. I would book a ride with Reyes or another company but it seems kinda pricey, I'm wondering if i should just show up and try and jump on a ride with another group already going up. What do you guys think would be best from experience down there.
Thanks,
Mike

ClimbandBike

Re: orizaba dec 2011

by ClimbandBike » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:28 am

An option to consider is to hitch a ride to around 12k feet for acclimatizing. We camped in a pine forest and the hike to the hut from there was real nice.

That being said there were a lot of locals on Sunday who drove up all the way to the hut but not an excess the rest of the days.

Good luck!

The following user would like to thank ClimbandBike for this post
mcorbs28

ncst

by ncst » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:49 am

Hi Mike. Indeed, I'd go and ask, or call, if Conchola or Reyes or another agency is driving a group to the hut, then you can join them. If not, I am also guessing that during the Christmas holidays plenty of tourists, especially on a Sunday, drive up the mountain as far as the road allows them or even to the hut with a 4WD. You could try and hitch a ride by the road then... Good luck

The following user would like to thank ncst for this post
mcorbs28

JB99

by JB99 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:57 am

We didn't, but I've read trip reports from people who just showed up and found a ride. People there are friendly and it will be obvious what you're there for, I'd guess finding a ride from a local with a truck would be pretty easy. That said, we used Reyes on two occasions and weren't disappointed. It was more money, but they take care of you. We also had them provide fresh food in coolers for the hut and that meant we brought less (leaving room for important things like a full-sized air mattress), and that we had tasty fresh food instead of freeze dried crap. Check out my guide for some more ideas, it's posted here: http://www.summitpost.org/a-colorado-climber-s-guide-to-the-roof-of-mexico/684957.

The following user would like to thank JB99 for this post
mcorbs28

CastillejaMiniata

by CastillejaMiniata » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Are you going alone?

mcorbs28

by mcorbs28 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:10 pm

CastillejaMiniata wrote:Are you going alone?

nope my brother and my girlfriend are climbing with me

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean