Hates summitpost page creating stuff!!!

Get HTML help, style input, and feedback on your pages from other SP members.
ExcitableBoy

Re: Hates summitpost page creating stuff!!!

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:34 pm

It is my fault. I was working on an article at the same time.

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:34 am

sjarelkwint wrote:Been writing on a fucking tripreport and when I press submit changes it gives a fault and I lost everything!!!
More than 1 hour of typing! Matt if you would be sitting next to me I would slap you at the moment! :evil: :evil:

It is because of this that I write the trip report in a word document first so that I have a backup!

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:54 am

sjarelkwint wrote:Been writing on a fucking tripreport and when I press submit changes it gives a fault and I lost everything!!!
More than 1 hour of typing! Matt if you would be sitting next to me I would slap you at the moment! :evil: :evil:

Hit the back button, highlight the text, right-click, and copy. That's worked for me before.

I always save my text in some fashion before hitting submit. Not trying to sound condescending, just giving advice that I know works.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:27 am

For me it is better to write up the text in a Word document anyway so I can use spell check. The side effect is that if submitting it fails all I have lost is some copy/pasting.

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:42 am

mrchad9 wrote:For me it is better to write up the text in a Word document anyway so I can use spell check. The side effect is that if submitting it fails all I have lost is some copy/pasting.

Word!

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:59 am

Quit using internet explorer or those other lame browsers! Trust me, I've lost hours of work in the past (at least two trip reports) which I was using internet explorer. Now that I use firefox, even when the page doesn't work, I click back and have all my text. A friend of mine write up a "side kick" trip report with my Mount Shuksan attempt which his story was more epic than mine, and his trip report was lost the same way as yours. So my lesson was to either use notepad/word or use a browser that supports backups when you hit back. 8) I really do feel for you, it is really frustrating. Especially when that was all the "SP" time you had when life is busy.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:04 pm

So it's SP's fault, and Matt's in particular, that you don't save your work or do it all beforehand? First you complained about your camera, then about page standards, and now this.

Another suggestion: I do a lot of my work as a draft in Gmail. It auto-saves as I go. No worries about losing material unless you manage to delete the draft.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Josh Lewis

mvs

by mvs » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:28 pm

Not only do I save everything in text files but I compulsively hit the "save" shortcut every 5 words or so. :D

The following user would like to thank mvs for this post
Josh Lewis

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:39 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:If it would have a draft saving system I wouldn't have lost it ... How many people have lost a lot of work due to the fault on it? People not using the system which summitpost is giving them ain't a sollution, it is just saying the system is shit and you use something else ...

Where did i complain about my camera?
I don't have a camera, I use my cellphone as a camera and just take pics for my mother in belgium so she knows what i'm doing here ...

I have never experienced the problems you have. It seems you would rather complain and blame than use available solutions that many others use and recommend. If that floats your boat, so be it.

And yes, it was your cell phone camera you complained about, claiming it took crappy pictures that weren't good enough to upload. Again, no one's problem but yours.

By the way, it's "dammit" or "damn it." :wink:

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:59 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
sjarelkwint wrote:
I have never experienced the problems you have. It seems you would rather complain and blame than use available solutions that many others use and recommend. If that floats your boat, so be it.

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:39 pm

I agree that SP should have a draft system. Perhaps a suggestion about this could be sent to Matt, this would make quite a few people happy including myself. sjarelkwint, on another website I used I had to start saving my work in a notepad and such (dreamweaver takes more time to open up). :wink: Here is a great post that describes part of the problem:
server-speed-t57780-225.html#p850750

At the moment Matt cannot do anything about it until he figures out a work around solution. It is a very complex solution if there is one. He also happens to be a busy guy. :wink:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:56 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:If it would have a draft saving system I wouldn't have lost it ... How many people have lost a lot of work due to the fault on it? People not using the system which summitpost is giving them ain't a sollution, it is just saying the system is shit and you use something else ...

Where did i complain about my camera?
I don't have a camera, I use my cellphone as a camera and just take pics for my mother in belgium so she knows what i'm doing here ...

Do I think the system for making pages is a pain in the ass? Yes. But...

I've used many on-line (or just LAN-shared) systems over the years for editing, and I ALWAYS edited my work off-line, and pasted the very-near-finished results in near the very end. Using an editor that isn't interrupted by web constipation and server crashes is just common sense. You seem to be somewhat of a programmer, so this should be a tiny imposition. Every operating system I used, including 1982 NOS, RX11, VMS, and 8 versions of UNIX/Linux, had a decent full-screen editor with cut-and-paste. C'mon, this isn't hard.

Nowadays, phone cameras can be decent, especially for the long-distance shots needed in most route description pages. With decent stand-alone digital cameras costing less than $100 US, it isn't a real imposition to provide photos that show the reasons to go to an area, and how to keep from getting lost while there.

mvs

by mvs » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:59 pm

It sucks to lose data, but I agree. There is nothing more insecure than a browser window sitting there. The only site I've seen that seems to have some draft protection is Blogger, which is Google, which has thousands of programmers looking for something to do. In general I never would expect something like that.

Anyway...just wait...Matt'll add this feature and then we'll have another server speed thread where this thing will be fingered as the culprit-du-jour for slowdowns. "EVERYBODY, PLEASE CLOSE YOUR EDIT WINDOWS, THANX!" :D

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:19 pm

:lol: Too funny. It's hard to make everyone happy.

Then everyone will have to use the draft system because the server will be so slow that it will disconnect almost everytime. Then we will have something like "Fater Error on draft system. Could not backup data" which people would be super angry. :lol: :twisted: (I know, I'm taking it too far)

mrh

by mrh » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Just type your report in a word document and save it. You can copy it onto SP when you have edited it and made it nice. Several people don't bother with the second part. This is the way the world does it and you have been told by several here to do this. Its simple, stress free and when SP goes away someday, you will still have all your stuff on your computer. You'd have to be a complete brain dead retard to do it any other way. Oh, nevermind.

Next

Return to Page Help