Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Humphreys Peak conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Re: Humphreys Peak conditions?

Postby Clark_Griswold » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Snowbowl reported 10 to 12 inches of snow, a little more on the way. It's the awkward time of year when the rocks make snowshoeing impossible, but the snow makes just hiking slippery and a little dangerous in a few spots. Crampons are useless, too, unless you want to trash your pair.
Clark_Griswold

The following user would like to thank Clark_Griswold for this post
lcarreau

Postby NJTripper » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:19 am

Hi - figured I would bump this thread instead of starting a new...

I'll be out there in a couple weeks... and am interested in both more recent conditions... and advise.

Is the snow up there melting off at all... or is it falling and sticking for the season now... and along those lines...

Will the trail conditions in early Dec (typically) be better suited for snowshoes by then?

I'm coming out from NJ... and would preffer to leave the SSs behind if the there is ~no~ chance I will be able to use them... [but will want them along if (typical) conditions are getting more favorable for their use..].

Thanks for any info / advise...
NJTripper

Postby Clark_Griswold » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:41 pm

http://www.arizonasnowbowl.com/resort/snow_report.php

When open they'll post daily, otherwise you have to guess based what they last updated. With 36" to date for the season, you won't want them. Check back to see. The Peaks could get hit, but that is unlikely at this early time. In past years, with snow as they have had, the off trail routes are not ready and the trail is rocky enough that you can't really use snowshoes. It melts this early. SW slopes melt back pretty well in January, too.
Clark_Griswold

Postby NJTripper » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:46 am

Thanks for the info... Sounds like I'll leave the SS's behind... and maybe just bring along the micro-spikes in case of ice or any other need for traction....
NJTripper

Previous

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)