down jacket gurus....

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
benwood

down jacket gurus....

by benwood » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:08 pm

I currently have and have liked my patagonia down sweater. I like the warmth level as it seems to be versatile for my needs and uses. However, the fit is just too baggy and boxy. (I lost about 20lbs since I first bought it as well)

So my question is..... what jackets would you recommend that would offer approximately the same level of insulation as my down sweater but fit a little slimmer?

I've looked at the pata UL down jacket, it uses the same fill weight as the down sweater and is a slim fit. So i'm guessing it would be close. Other companies don't say much about the fit. I like the looks and specs of the Montane Nitro and Rab Microlight, but have no idea as to the fit. I've also heard that Mont-bell fits a little slimmer but have never tried one on.

thoughts?
"Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work" - Peter Gibbons

ExcitableBoy

Re: down jacket gurus....

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:15 pm

Montbell has a decidedly slimmer fit than most garment companies: http://promountainsports.com/index.php/ ... acket.html

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:32 pm

If you want same kind of jacket and the only problem with your current one is the fit, you could try to change it for a smaller size, or buy one in smaller size.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:48 pm

Montbell offers the biggest bang for the weight in the industry (meaning slim fit/non waste, not even a hook tether or pockets on their lightest one). OR comes up second (and perhaps better value). Go to their websites and study their different solutions based on what you need, are looking for. Both are quite durable products based on what I run them through (sandstone, limestone and ice)....for lightweight down jackets.

Good Luck

benwood

by benwood » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:18 pm

thanks guys i'll take a look. i noticed the OR jackets use 650 fill while mont-bell uses 800+. it is a noticable difference to you guys?
"Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work" - Peter Gibbons

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:21 pm

benwood wrote:thanks guys i'll take a look. i noticed the OR jackets use 650 fill while mont-bell uses 800+. it is a noticable difference to you guys?

I own both.
rock climbing, yes....it is lighter, more compact
any winter sport, not noticeable

Steve Larson

by Steve Larson » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:44 am

+1 on the Montbell products. I own one of their synthetic ultralight jackets, which might be a good alternative. Featherweight, and it won't spew feathers if it gets snagged.

divnamite

by divnamite » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Montbell product is well made, well priced and just as durable as its competitors. The only issue I have with Montbell is its sleeping bag line is a little less warm than its equivalent of Marmot/WM/FF.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:16 am

Montbell are excellent, I have used a couple of Thermawrap (synthetic) parkas a lot. Some of their down jackets are very nice too.

But Rab are also very good quality, though not well-known in the USA. They are an established UK brand that was sold out several years ago, but still do good stuff. Their down has always been very high quality and most of their jacket designs are built for climbers - hoods accommodate helmets etc. Their fit now is relatively narrow/slim, with long arms. I find them a tiny bit tight across the back and shoulders and a bit baggy at the waist, but not as bad as Patagonia, which I find almost unwearable. Exact cut/fit will vary between the type of garment, so a down jacket will probably be cut relatively more generously than a softshell jacket, to fit over a couple of layers etc.

Montane are also very good, but they don't much in the way of down products, so they're not as well tested in that regard. Their cut also tends to be relatively slim, though a bit shorter in the arms than Rab, which some people might like. They make very good windshells and synthetic jackets and their stuff has been used on a lot of hard climbs over the years.

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:02 pm

I would have to agree with Dow. I also own 2 Montbell pieces and an older OR jacket. While the Montbells are absolutely killer pieces in terms of weight to warmth ratio, the durability is a bit compromised because of the external fabric used.
The OR piece I have even though it's heavier with a lower fill rating, actually gets used more often. But only because it has a slimmer fit. Comparing down jackets is tricky because the divisions that separate features is so minuscule.
For the price, as much as I would like to say Montbell or Patagouchie, I'd say OR is by far the better deal in terms of price vs. total features. But, some folks just like some brands for no objective reason except that it's 'that' brand. I like a slimmer fit as well but it's so hard to argue against the feather- weight of the Montbell or Pata.
Go with the OR and keep a look out for sales on Montbell & Patagonia.
My .02¢

Return to Gear