Trip to San Gorgonio!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
EastKing

Trip to San Gorgonio!

by EastKing » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:06 am

Gimpilator and I are going to be heading to Southern California to doing San Gorgonio and many of the other peaks in the San Bernadino's. The trip is going to be the last week in January to the first week in February. We will be bring all the winter trimmings including the snowshoes, ice axe, crampons and helmets and expect full winter conditions similiar to up here in Washington. The first question is what is the local hiking websites and forums in the area?The second item we also would like to combine with someone down in the area who is truely experienced in winter snowclimbing and mountaineering? Any feedback would help us out greatly.

no avatar
Stockwell

Re: Trip to San Gorgonio!

by Stockwell » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:19 am

Ahh this sounds like it would be blast. Sadly I do not have the gear to head up San G quite yet. Although with recent storms it looks beautiful up there.

As far as it goes for message boards I would definitely recommend:

1. http://members.boardhost.com/sgva/

2. http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/ (I just climbed San J and used this site. There are some people there that are gun hoe! and I received great feedback.)

3. http://sangabrielmnts.myfreeforum.org/index.php

These are the three that I troll around and about. All three are basically the same area and thus the same community of climbers.

Hope this helps and maybe if I get lucky and Santa brings me something really nice *BD Crampons and Ice Axe* I'll catch you up there. Have a good time!

Happy Trails and Happy Holidays,
Stockwell

EastKing

by EastKing » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:33 am

Thank you Stockwell for the links. The trip might be moved earlier or later depending on who is interested.

Deb

by Deb » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:25 am

San G Wilderness is my BC skiing playground! I'd be happy to skip out there with you guys anytime. I've been on every peak worth a shit with snow on it in SoCal, so I'd like to think I know my way around. Baldy, San Jacinto and San Gorgonio are the big 3, but there's certainly lots more down any trail over 7500' that will offer you a great winter mountaineering experience. There's even ice climbing in San B's when the conditions are just right. Come on down!

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:32 pm

Deb wrote:There's even ice climbing in San B's when the conditions are just right.

Wha...? Do tell. I figured there had to be something given enough of a cold snap. Still, we're not talking 20' of low angle gully are we?

Blair

by Blair » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:59 am

fat-yes we need a big cold snap. the formation being discussed has only been 'in' once in the last four seasons...

And its a terraced gig, three separate 20-30ft tall walls ranging from 60-80 degrees. Thats all I can tell you ;) Deb is sworn in

The following user would like to thank Blair for this post
Princess Buttercup

Deb

by Deb » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:22 pm

It was in this past season......unfortunately I had a knee injury and couldn't get on it. :(

The following user would like to thank Deb for this post
Princess Buttercup

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Here's a good webcam to check conditons on the north side of the SGW:

http://www.bensweather.com/webcams/cam_2.jpg

Over on the other side of the wilderness: The Forest Service issued a statement that the Vivian Creek Trail Parking area will be closed most of the time until Memorial Day Weekend 2012; so if you want to access the wilderness from that trailhead check with the folks at the Mill Creek Ranger Station to see if the parking lot is open.

The following user would like to thank KathyW for this post
artrock23

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:01 pm

Blair and Deb, your secret is safe. Sadly too busy these days to hit the ice. Enjoy though.

Deb

by Deb » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:10 pm

KathyW wrote:Here's a good webcam to check conditons on the north side of the SGW:

http://www.bensweather.com/webcams/cam_2.jpg

Over on the other side of the wilderness: The Forest Service issued a statement that the Vivian Creek Trail Parking area will be closed most of the time until Memorial Day Weekend 2012; so if you want to access the wilderness from that trailhead check with the folks at the Mill Creek Ranger Station to see if the parking lot is open.

I parked at the Falls parking lot on Wed to climb Dobbs Peak. The gate to end of road was closed so that was an extra 1/2 mile thru the park. Not sure where the forest service is going to lock off all access.

desertdesigns

by desertdesigns » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:58 pm

I snapped this on the way up San G. a few years ago...

desertdesigns

by desertdesigns » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:14 pm

one more......proximity to populous locales = graffiti.....found this ranger battling the problem :)

Deb

by Deb » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:08 pm

desertdesigns wrote:I snapped this on the way up San G. a few years ago...

Beautiful photo. Which trail was it taken from?

desertdesigns

by desertdesigns » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:47 am

vivian creek trail just below high creek camp.

this one is on vivian too, just below the summit

artrock23

by artrock23 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:26 am

desertdesigns wrote:vivian creek trail just below high creek camp.

this one is on vivian too, just below the summit

If that's where I remember it (a small saddle 1/4-1/2mi. below the summit?), I camped there in the 70s a couple of times while doing the '9 Peaks' hike with the Boy Scouts.

I'm planning to do a Winter ascent of San Gorgonio soon. So much fun in the snow.

Next

Return to California