Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Identify this Peruvian peak?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.

Identify this Peruvian peak?

Postby nartreb » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:22 am

Gracias. Seen from the highway somewhere near the Urubamba valley.

(click to enlarge)
nartreb

Re: Identify this Peruvian peak?

Postby sharperblue » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:35 am

Can't tell for sure, but looks like Salcantay
sharperblue

Postby Damien Gildea » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:56 am

Looks like the east face of Salcantay - but I didn't realise you could see that from the valley. We drove up the valley last June, en route to Ollantaytambo, but did not trekking there.

I did get a great view of Salcantay from the plane flying in to Cusco.

Edit: No - just checked the aerial I took and it doesn't match the east face of Salcantay. Where in the Urubamba valley were you?
Damien Gildea

Postby nartreb » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:40 pm

After reviewing the photos taken around the same time, this was during a bus ride between Cusco and the trail entrance at Kilometer 82.

Here's one from earlier the same morning, don't know if it shows the same peak: http://www.davidalbeck.com/photos/2011/ ... a/i001.jpg

Here's another, closer to the time of the photo at the top of the thread: http://www.davidalbeck.com/photos/2011/ ... a/i002.jpg
nartreb

Postby rgg » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:24 pm

I only remember seeing somewhat distant peaks from the road to Ollantaytambo. They were not close enough to get a clear photo as in the OP, so I guess that the photo is taken closer to the trailhead. I didn't hike the Inca trail, but took the train from Ollantaytambo. And I do remember seeing towering glaciated peaks from the train. The train didn't go fast, but the Rio Urubamba canyon is pretty steep, and by the time I had my camera ready, it was hidden again, so, unfortunately, I have no photos.

Looking at the map, there really is just one candidate: my money is on Nevado Veronica (location -13.165,-72.326). I checked with Google Earth, and while you can't see it from Ollantaytambo, the valley opens up nicely a little bit further to the NW and it's in view - provided there are no trees or other obstructions of course. So, that's where I guess the photo could have been taken.

Here is a pic I found with a peak that looks very much like the one in the OP:

It's on this site, and the author labeled it Nevado Veronica.
rgg

Postby Damien Gildea » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Yep, those two are the same peak. I did think of Veronica, it's the only other possibility, but I didn't think you can see it from the road. Maybe I just wasn't looking.
Damien Gildea

Return to South America