Alp Wing and slider

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Pallando

Alp Wing and slider

by Pallando » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:52 pm

I feel like I have all the dumb questions...

I bought the old style Grivel slider for my Alp Wing this morning. When I got home, I saw that my Alp Wing doesn't have holes for the screws at the bottom of the shaft to stop them the slider (maybe under the rubber grip?). There is also a rivet in the middle of the shaft blocking the slider's path. I thought they were compatible from the Steve House Nanga Parbat video, but now I'm guessing that was a Light Wing and not an Alp Wing?

So my main questions. What's the rivet for and what happens if I remove it, and will there be holes for the screws under the rubber handgrip?

etai101

Re: Alp Wing and slider

by etai101 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:07 pm

steve house has light wings,you can see him obssesing in that video over crampones bits even if it wasent said he would obviousley take the lighter tool light being the operative.
i also have a pair of alp wings i feel there wight is much more versitile for alpine and than for WI.
as far as i could find out unless you remove that rivet which by the way is not advisable i beleve it holds the two parts if the shaft together you wont be able to use the slider and the slider will not go over the grip, the grip is a bit larger than the sliders capacity.
i use the horns when i go ice climbing and take them off when i go alpine climbing use a spring leash its a great tool to own.
if you find out any way to engineer the slider to this tool do tell it will make it much better all round.
cheers

Return to Gear