Rim to Rim

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
jthomas

Rim to Rim

by jthomas » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:37 pm

OK, a buddy has suggesting doing the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim. Stay on the South Rim, hike to the lodge on the North Rim, stay overnight, then back to the South Rim. What is a realistic time for each leg? This would be hiking at a brisk pace, NOT trail running. Would do it in fall to avoid the heat. (I believe the North Rim lodge is closed in winter.) I have done Rainier, Baker, Adams, etc., but I am 68, so keep that in mind. Am I nuts? Thanks.

Tonka

Re: Rim to Rim

by Tonka » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:58 pm

We did it South to North in a little over 11 hours this summer. I'm not super fast but that's a pretty good time. I would add 2-3 hours more to your estimated time to get your return time. I will say that a lot of people that say they are going to R to R to R end up taking the shuttle back to the South rim because you will have the GC shuffle :)

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:59 pm

Don't know that I can give you any helpful info, but I was just there the 2nd week in November and did S Rim to Phantom Ranch and back. I was carrying backpacking gear and not moving real fast. Dealt with snow and mud on the way down and cooler than average temps.

Can give you more detail if you'd like, though not on your exact plan.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:38 pm

I know some women who were nearly 70 when they did that. October is usually a good time. Down the South Kaibab and up the North Kaibab. Come back up the Bright Angel on the next day. Typically you start down the S Kaibab just before light. Lots of water on the way up N Kaibab, but make sure the taps have not been closed for the season (call the park service). On return, pick up water at Indian Gardens on the Bright Angel.

You can try the shuttle service back to the S rim if you don't feel great after the night on the N Rim. They usually like reservations, but often get cancellations. Stay overnight in a cabin on the N rim so you don't have to bring much gear. Unless you are really in love with your shoes, you may want to take tevas for part of the way back; but really, if your ankles are willing, the entire thing can be handled in trail runners.

surgent

by surgent » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:43 pm

The shuttle option is closed for the winter; the roads up on the N Rim usually don't open until about April at the earliest. Thus, if you commit to a rim-to-rim this time of year, you unavoidably commit to a rim-to-rim-to-rim.

A popular third option is "rim", where you stand on the rim, look down, but don't actually go to the other side, nor back. It's surprisingly easy on the legs. You can look down and ponder how long it took them to dig out all that dirt.

The following user would like to thank surgent for this post
lcarreau

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:56 pm

We did it in 2009

South to North:
South Kaibab trail, 6.8 miles, 7260 to 2480'
North Kaibab trail, 14.8 miles, 2480 to 8250'
21.6 miles, 5800' gain, 9.5 hours

North to South:
North Kaibab trail, 14.8 miles, 8250 to 2480'
Bright Angel trail, 9.3 miles, 2480 to 6860'
24.1 miles, 4380' gain, 11 hours

Trip report:
http://www.splattski.com/2010/grand_canyon/index.html

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:12 pm

Having done 5 R2R2R, I would say 9-10 hours each way is a fast hike with a light pack.

Two of my old ultrarunning buds are nearly your age.

They meet every end of September, hike from the South Rim to the North Rim, stay overnight in the North Rim Lodge, have a good meal, some fine wine, and sleep in a nice bed. Next day, they hike back.

But, they have to make their reservation at the North Rim Lodge nearly a year in advance.

No, you are not nuts. I have been trashed by a road biker 10 years your senior. Either use it or lose it.

no avatar
JD

by JD » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:28 pm

Is there still a hiker/biker campgound on the north rim? When I did this hike I took my sleeping bag and stayed in the hiker/biker site, no reservation required. Is this option still available?

no avatar
Palisades79

by Palisades79 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:36 pm

How about Yosemite Valley rim to rim .Has anyone ever hiked/climbed/ rapped betwen the summits of Half Dome and North Dome in either direction in a single push ? I know that speed climbs have been done on Half Dome and El Capitan but do not recall one envolving Noth and Half Domes. Snowcreek and the Four Mile trails would be a feat for hikers.

no avatar
jthomas

by jthomas » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:21 pm

BigMitch wrote:Having done 5 R2R2R, I would say 9-10 hours each way is a fast hike with a light pack.

They meet every end of September, hike from the South Rim to the North Rim, stay overnight in the North Rim Lodge, have a good meal, some fine wine, and sleep in a nice bed. Next day, they hike back.

But, they have to make their reservation at the North Rim Lodge nearly a year in advance.

No, you are not nuts. I have been trashed by a road biker 10 years your senior. Either use it or lose it.

That is exactly what we are planning. Hopefully we can start an annual tradition. Thanks for the encouragement.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:34 pm

jthomas wrote:
BigMitch wrote:But, they have to make their reservation at the North Rim Lodge nearly a year in advance.

That is exactly what we are planning. Hopefully we can start an annual tradition. Thanks for the encouragement.

I think reservations for the cabins are easier than for the lodge itself. They are decent-- heat, showers, flush toilets.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:48 am

surgent wrote:
A popular third option is "rim", where you stand on the rim, look down, but don't actually go to the other side, nor back. It's surprisingly easy on the legs. You can look down and ponder how long it took them to dig out all that dirt.

I DID this option the last time I went to the Canyon.

My wife spotted some elk next to the South Rim's Ranger Station, and (of course) she was chased off by a Ranger, AND I had to explain to her that some
Rangers don't like people to block traffic while viewing the elk.

It's bad Karma, or something ... :D

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

no avatar
jthomas

by jthomas » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:12 pm

BigMitch wrote:Having done 5 R2R2R, I would say 9-10 hours each way is a fast hike with a light pack.

Well, I called the North Rim lodge and miraculously snagged the last two cabins left in October 2012, so I guess this is a go. Now all I have to do is get ready. Keep the geezers in your thoughts and prayers.

On a related topic, what experience have people had with fueling endurance events like this with Gu, etc. as opposed to normal food? This guy does some amazing things in the Tetons fueled exclusively by Gu.

http://www.getstrongergolonger.com/jour ... on-20.html

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)