Pfeifferhorn Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
mtybumpo

Pfeifferhorn Conditions

by mtybumpo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:14 am

Anyone know what conditions are like on the Pfeifferhorn right now? I'm thinking of going up there this saturday. Is there enough snow left to warrant bringing an ice axe or will I be fine without it? Thanks!

lcarreau

Re: Pfeifferhorn Conditions

by lcarreau » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:29 am

mtybumpo wrote:Anyone know what conditions are like on the Pfeifferhorn right now? I'm thinking of going up there this saturday. Is there enough snow left to warrant bringing an ice axe or will I be fine without it? Thanks!

Are you talking about the one in Utah ???

I was up there (on Mount Timp) about one week ago. I could see The Horn on my way up American Fork Canyon.

It had a fair amount of snow on it, but it was melting fast. Prepare for sloppy conditions.

:D
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

voxnihili

by voxnihili » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:40 pm

I went up Pfeifferhorn on 7/20 (via Red Pine).

An ice axe wasn't required, but I was glad I brought mine. The bowl above Red Pine Lake had a fair amount of snow still, so the axe came in handy for the ascent to the ridge and the glissade down. On the ridge itself, there was a little snow. The snow that was on the ridge and in the final push could be avoided rather easily, though.

Of course, that was two weeks ago. Hope that helps.

The following user would like to thank voxnihili for this post
mtybumpo

no avatar
WhitePine

by WhitePine » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:40 pm

Is there enough snow in the bowl that I could ski it? Pictures are worth a thousand words if you have any.

mtybumpo

by mtybumpo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:04 pm

WhitePine wrote:Is there enough snow in the bowl that I could ski it? Pictures are worth a thousand words if you have any.
There was snow left but it would be a very short ski. I'll try and get some pictures posted. I've been busy lately and haven't posted much.

byates

by byates » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:35 am

Looking from Monte Cristo yesterday, yes there are still a few 600' ski lines, if that is worth packing the weight go for it! Personally I'm done skiing till at least new snow in October more likely November.

TheSalt

by TheSalt » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Anyone been up there lately? Thinking of trekking up this weekend.

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:23 pm

Six of us went up yesterday. None of us used snowshoes. There was a packed trail most of the way to the top, very firm but not slippery to Red Pine Lake and less firm after that. At some point between Red Pine Lake and the headwall to the main ridge, the tracks were obliterated by the wind. However, given that it's snowing now, conditions will likely change.

The following user would like to thank ZeeJay for this post
TheSalt

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:19 pm

ZeeJay wrote:Six of us went up yesterday. None of us used snowshoes. There was a packed trail most of the way to the top, very firm but not slippery to Red Pine Lake and less firm after that. At some point between Red Pine Lake and the headwall to the main ridge, the tracks were obliterated by the wind. However, given that it's snowing now, conditions will likely change.

Just the info I was looking for! Anyone game for Sunday (12/25) ? I'll go for a solo attempt but some company is good too :)

byates

by byates » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:46 am

Just the info I was looking for! Anyone game for Sunday (12/25) ? I'll go for a solo attempt but some company is good too :)[/quote]

Xmas? I'll pass on the Divorce!

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:57 am

byates wrote:

What would you rather do ... watch the Yule log glow brightly in your spouses eyes, or trudge up the steep face of a mountain that has no feeling for you?

I would choose the former.

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

byates

by byates » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:36 am

lcarreau wrote:
byates wrote:

What would you rather do ... watch the Yule log glow brightly in your spouses eyes, or trudge up the steep face of a mountain that has no feeling for you?

I would choose the former.

I can climb it the tomorrow, xmas eve or the 27th with out getting in trouble, I'm about at about 70 on my climbs of the Phiefferhorn so marital strife is not really worth it!

Gafoto

by Gafoto » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:10 am

I've been working since 12/13 and won't get a day off until at least 1/6. I would love to get up the Pfeifferhorn now. Alas, work...

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:55 am

LOL!!! Well, it depends when you celebrate. Our festivities are Christmas eve; Christmas day is probably just spent on the couch watching movies; perfect time for me to sneak out. I could probably do Sat or Mon too though. Not 100% set on Sunday.

byates wrote:Xmas? I'll pass on the Divorce!

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:55 am

Wow, that's a bummer. Not even a weekend or Holiday?!

Gafoto wrote:I've been working since 12/13 and won't get a day off until at least 1/6. I would love to get up the Pfeifferhorn now. Alas, work...

Next

Return to Utah