Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Solo 4-Season/Mountaineering Tent

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

Re: Solo 4-Season/Mountaineering Tent

Postby Luc » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:04 pm

kholodenko wrote:I am over 6 feet so maybe a tent that is longer internally is a better call for me.

I-Tent: 6'-10" long
Eldorado: 7'-3" long

MK1 Lite: 6'-10" long
MK1 XL: 7'-2" long

Summit Superlite Bivi: 7'-3" long
Summit Mountain Bivi: 7'-3" long

If you're heading into cold weather, you don't want your feet or head jammed against the tent's walls. if you can try them out in a store using your own sleeping bag (with your boots and water inside it).
Luc

Postby squidman » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:19 pm

Quite a bit heavier than the other tents, but I picked up a MH Spire2 (no longer in production, but still sold some places), around the 2kg mark, too small for 2 people, but perfect for 1 for winter camping. Bigger footprint than the others tho'. However, good ventilation, double-walled, and stable. No idea why Mountain Hardwear dropped it, it's perfect for winter solo-trips with e.g. pulk (especially compared with my TNF mountain 25! beast of a tent).
squidman

Postby Marmaduke » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:33 am

Comments on the North Face Mica 1 or Marmot EOS 1?
Marmaduke

Postby TimB » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:21 pm

I would go for the Integral Designs(now Rab??) Mk I Lite or XL, if you can find one.
TimB

Postby Marmaduke » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:28 pm

In looking at many of the 3 season versus the 4 season tents, the material is the same. Is there something I'm missing between the 3 and 4 seasons that makes the difference?
Marmaduke

Postby Marmaduke » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:34 pm

TimB wrote:I would go for the Integral Designs(now Rab??) Mk I Lite or XL, if you can find one.

It looks like the MK 1 Lite is in stock at this shop:
http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/single-wall-tents.html
Marmaduke

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
TimB

Postby TimB » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Marmaduke wrote:
TimB wrote:I would go for the Integral Designs(now Rab??) Mk I Lite or XL, if you can find one.

It looks like the MK 1 Lite is in stock at this shop:
http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/single-wall-tents.html

Marmaduke,
Thanks for the link!

I owned one years ago(the XL) and loved it, but had a 'stupid attack' and sold it.
Maybe I can get another one soon.
:cool:
TimB

Postby Sunny Buns » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:16 am

I like the Stephenson/Warmlite tents. They're not cheap, but the quality is excellent. If you are 7 or 8 feet tall, no problem! They are not freestanding and not made for small ledges on big walls - they are fairly big, but they do make a shorter climbers version that I have no experience with. Lots of room in the standard version. 2 man tent ~ 3 pounds. Excellent in high winds. I've never had mine in heavy snow, but if planning on a lot of heavy snow it might be worth adding a 3rd hoop which would cost a tad more. They're made in Gilford, New Hampshire I think. Be sure to do the water proofing they recommend. I've had mine over 10 years with no problems. Read ALL the info on their website if you think you want one. They tell you the plusses and minuses and they are right on the money. 2 people can fit with no problem, but 1 person can carry expedition gear and put it inside the tent. Aluminized inner wall recommended for added warmth - it does help.

I'm 5' - 11" tall and when I was trying to decide I really wanted the Bibler Eldorado or the I-tent (can't remember which was longer), but I got inside and I knew if I got one that my sleeping bag would be touching one end or both and it would be wet, so I went with Stephenson/Warmlite 2 man with lots of bells/whistles and it cost ~ $500 10 years ago. Money well spent. Every one is custom - color, how many doors, 1 or 2 wall, 2 or 3 hoops, windows or no windows (I got 2 windows but rarely use them), etc. Remember, your sleeping bag will be 12-24" longer than you are. A short tent would work for 1 or 2 night trips, but you'd want a longer one for a week or more.
Sunny Buns

Postby mtneering » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:21 am

I'm going to chime in on the BD Eldorado w/vestibule. Light, easy to set up, simple, time tested. I got it with the goal of using it solo and with a partner. Although a new tent to me, I had a different 4 season model for years, this BD tent blows it away with weight and durability. Used it on Franconia Ridge NH two weeks ago and Mt Washington NH last night! It's going to Katahdin Maine for a week in February. Don't rule out the BD i-tent or Eldorado.
mtneering

Postby Gafoto » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:33 am

I have a BD lighthouse, which is very close in size to the Eldorado. Love it.
Gafoto

Previous

Return to Gear