Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

A question.

Get HTML help, style input, and feedback on your pages from other SP members.

Re: A question.

Postby Josh Lewis » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:49 am

From my point of view the "trailheads" of SP were designed to make it so one could find one or multiple peaks from the same trailhead. Hopefully someone will have more explanation for me, but what info I would add is things like driving directions, climbs near by that are accessible, history of the trailhead or something near by, and of course the eye candy one sees at the lower part of the mountain. :wink:

Hope that gives you a taste of what it's about. 8)
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
Josh Lewis

Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States

Postby Bill Reed » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:18 pm

From Wikipedia:

A trailhead is the point at which a trail begins, where the trail is often intended for hiking, biking, horseback riding, or off-road vehicles. Modern trailheads often contain rest rooms, maps, sign posts and distribution centers for informational brochures about the trail and its features, and parking areas for vehicles and trailers.

Historically, the cities located at the terminus of major pathways for foot traffic such as the Natchez Trace and the Chisholm Trail were also known as trailheads.

For mountain climbing and hiking, the elevation of the trailhead above sea level is given to give an idea of how high the mountain is above the average terrain.

SP Trailhead pages, as Josh described, name and locate the point where a trail begins, describe the facilities located there and give detail on destinations that can be reached from said trailhead.

Here's a fairly simple one that I did last year: http://www.summitpost.org/rawah-trailhead/655100

Hope that helps!
Bill Reed

Postby andrew hemmerling » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:25 pm

how do I find climb logs to sign, I can't seem to find it. Also want to post more than the pic in my profile. Maybe I should spend more time using a computer and less time out there climbing as high as I can, just kidding on that last part.
andrew hemmerling

Postby Josh Lewis » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Na man, asking for help is perfectly okay. So to upload an image go to create page. Next go to image in the select box. Hit the continue button at the bottom. Then do the usual image stuff you would do on any other site. Hit submit.

As for the climber log deal, here's some screen shots to guide you. First type the name of the peak in the search box.

type name.png
type name.png (103.73 KiB) Viewed 1228 times

Then Click the page you want.

page.png
page.png (28.8 KiB) Viewed 1228 times

Look for the climber log section of that peak on the left side bar.

climber log.png
climber log.png (405.62 KiB) Viewed 1228 times

Now sign it.

sign it.png
sign it.png (54.72 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
Josh Lewis

Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States

Postby rgg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:36 pm

andrew hemmerling wrote:how do I find climb logs to sign, I can't seem to find it. Also want to post more than the pic in my profile. Maybe I should spend more time using a computer and less time out there climbing as high as I can, just kidding on that last part.

As Josh pointed out, it starts by finding the mountain page on SP. How hard that is, depends on the page. If the information on the page is extensive, it's real easy.

For example, here is a list of all Mountains & Rocks in New Hampshire on SP. The only caveat is that if someone creates a page for a mountain in New Hampshire but doesn't fill out the state correctly, then that page won't show up in a list like this! Therefore, when looking for a mountain on SP, if you can't find it, it's best to try different ways of searching, just in case. You can use SP's search tool (http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/ for that - click Advanced for more options. Alternatively you can simply use Google and add Summitpost to the name of the mountain you're looking for.
rgg

Return to Page Help